OT Shake possible price drop

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
OT Shake possible price drop

Anyone vaguely interested in a possible bargain basement version of Shake should take a look at this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=210328

If the rumours true then I would get it in a flash. I have played with it occassionally and really like the work flow and some of the masking tools. They are far superior to AE's which although good suffer from slow down when you start doing lots of paint work. Also I would of course be really interested in the C4D integration and multipass support. It's not quite Hexagon pricing but I reckon if it's true there'd be some mighty pissed off people who had bought it full price.

Also it's the release tomorrow is universal binary so now with C4D and Shake there would be no reason to not go Intel

I guess we'll know tomorrow

regards

rich

06 June 2006
I remember when Shake was at 8k.
It is hard to believe they would drop from 3k to 500 though.

06 June 2006
Well if these rumours are true and they drop it like this, I guess the rumours about discontinuing Shake (in favor of a new app in 2008) makes it a worthless deal imo. We'll see tomorrow

odo

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by ooo: Well if these rumours are true and they drop it like this, I guess the rumours about discontinuing Shake (in favor of a new app in 2008) makes it a worthless deal imo. We'll see tomorrow

odo

not worthless.
For 500 (i doubt it) bucks, you would one of the best comp apps around.
And 2008 is still a couple of year's away-

06 June 2006
Rumours are true! it's indeed 499,-

You're right off course it's not worthless. I have no idea if rumours about the axing in 2008 are true, so untill then it's a pretty good deal!!!

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/jun/20shake.html

06 June 2006
It is really crazy, but a great deal no doubt.
Now, what I am wondering, is why this huge price cut.
What is Apple going to unveil at Siggraph?

06 June 2006
sounds way too good to be true--but if it is true--that will be amazing.
MAybe Apple will have something bigger an better to relase to make it obsolete somehow?

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by JoelD: sounds way too good to be true--but if it is true--that will be amazing.
MAybe Apple will have something bigger an better to relase to make it obsolete somehow?

It is true! didn't you read the Apple presslink?

06 June 2006
looks like its true

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...rnMore=MA434Z/A

Edit: OOO: DOH!

06 June 2006
Not sure bout Linux price, but anyways, this is just fantastic really. F A N T A S T I C!

Havent tried the new Cinema Shake export, will do that ASAP! So far I was exporting stuff in PSD sequence and importing that to shake with layer recognition.

06 June 2006
just doing some research now and came across a list of available plugs. Nothing that I hadn't seen before for other compositing apps though.

http://www.plugin.com/category/59?genre=5&from=alist

06 June 2006
actually while the price drop is somewhat annoying for those of us that actually bought the full price version it makes complete business sense. apple have to compete with adobe and their bundle of apps and while apple had a compositing app the price was so high that they couldn't include it in their production bundle without the pricing looking odd or being too high. by having shake now at $499 they can include this is the next version of the production bundle or people can buy a copy in addition and you are not breaking the $2000 mark (so they are still competitive with adobe).

i like the idea of apple doing a cleanroom compositing app that follows the apple style (shake's gui is neat but a little too different from other apple pro apps) but i can't see that happening soon enough to impact shakes usage at the moment.

cheers, simon w.

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by JoelD: just doing some research now and came across a list of available plugs. Nothing that I hadn't seen before for other compositing apps though.

http://www.plugin.com/category/59?genre=5&from=alist

its not the plugins that make Shake probably the most popular high end compositing tool, its the fantastic workflow, fantastic scriptting and awesome proxys...

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by Byla: its not the plugins that make Shake probably the most popular high end compositing tool, its the fantastic workflow, fantastic scriptting and awesome proxys...

Oh yes--I'm sure thats the case. I just came across it and thought that for others considering making the purchase--might be a helpful resource.

06 June 2006
Hi

we tried the 30 day trial of 3.5 a while back and after getting used to the nodal system found it to be a very powerful comping solution, the inclusion of keylight and primatte alongside powerful morhping and warping tools was excellent. In the end we didnt go ahead with purchase because we couldn't quite justify the price(and we have AE).

But now I think it will definitely go into our arsenal, since using it I have found a lot of AE's workflow irritating.

Let's hope that maxon(or someone) can add some of the AE Camera export functionality to the shake export.

(as of now the price drop hasnt rippled to the UK store, but I'm guessing it will be around 300(as opposed to 2000)(I'd be pissed off it I had bought it recently though)

Trig

Thread Closed share thread