CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
NinaNinja
portfolio
United Kingdom

Scale/Multiply bitmaps UV tiling?

Within the material bitmap itself you can set how many times the bitmap should tile, so if my texture is 1352px x 532px then I might set it to:
U: 1,352
V: 0,532
so that it automatically doesn't strech (so I don't have to compensate for that on my objects UV map modyifier),

BUT, say now I find that it tiles 10% too big, now I have to bring up a calculator:
1) 1,352 * 0,9
2) Enter value in U.
3) 0,532 * 0,9
4) Enter value in V

This is INSANELY slow workflow if I want to scale it back and forth to get just the right amount of tiling.

In UDK this is super easy; just add a new multiply node and constant on the UV, similar to this:
But in 3ds max slate editor seems to be outrageously few options to achieve anything

Anyone know? :(

Old 11-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
NinaNinja
portfolio
United Kingdom

By the time this thread was moderator-approved it was already on page 2 so bump bump..

Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Possible, yes. Intuitive, no.

You can apply a multiplier curve in trackview (or through scripting). This will become an input to the existing controller and give you the ability to multiply the float by another float.

Remember 3ds max wasn't designed with the concept of schematic material editing in the beginning. To create a node like you suggest would mean creating new controller types that function by taking 2 floats and multiplying. Not something that would probably be overly complicating, but my guess is they currently have bigger issues to deal with.

-Eric

EDIT: Easiest option is probably to select the controller (only works with one selected) you want multiplied, R-Click > Curve Editor, Show UI Elements > Menu Bar, Menu > Curves > Multiplier Curve. From there you can adjust or clone and rewire as needed.

Last edited by PiXeL_MoNKeY : 11-23-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to Darth-Biomech
you can just modify your UV's so their stretch compensates for texture's non-square proportions. Advice for the future: always try to use texture with ratio 1:1 or 1:2, and bring non-matching textures to these two ratios.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
moulder6
Expert

portfolio
Peter Blackearth
3D Generalist
Sofia, Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaNinja
I have to bring up a calculator:

Or you can just press Ctrl+N in the Value filed, enter your "formula" there and click "Paste".

Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
NinaNinja
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY
Remember 3ds max wasn't designed with the concept of schematic material editing in the beginning. To create a node like you suggest would mean creating new controller types that function by taking 2 floats and multiplying. Not something that would probably be overly complicating, but my guess is they currently have bigger issues to deal with.

Indeed not created for it in the beginning, but I thought that was the whole point with Slate. I don't understand why they can't make a simple node that multiplies 2 values. (but I'm not a programmer so who knows maybe there is a technical reason)

Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
NinaNinja
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth-Biomech
you can just modify your UV's so their stretch compensates for texture's non-square proportions.

You mean my OBJECT's UV? In my company we have a rule that altho we mostly give objects a unique UV unwrapping: every material should also work with a generic box 1m*1m*1m. (a rule which I agree with, makes prototyping buildings very quick) So that's why I don't want to use an objects UV unwrap to compensate for something that should be done on the material.

Quote:
always try to use texture with ratio 1:1 or 1:2, and bring non-matching textures to these two ratios.

AFAIK that's an outdated concept (still used for games but even there it's starting to get questionible).

Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
NinaNinja
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by moulder6
Or you can just press Ctrl+N in the Value filed, enter your "formula" there and click "Paste".

Not the answer I was looking for, but since what I'm asking for doesn't seem to exist, your solution atleast saves my workaround a few ms, so I'll take it! :P thx

Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to Darth-Biomech
Quote:
AFAIK that's an outdated concept (still used for games but even there it's starting to get questionible).

Ask any professional CGI artist, and I'm sure they will tell same thing as I. Besides, max UVW editor is square, so it is just simpler to work with square textures.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
NinaNinja
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ask any professional CGI artist, and I'm sure they will tell same thing as I. Besides, max UVW editor is square, so it is just simpler to work with square textures.

I suspect you're working from old information, the max UVW editor automatically conforms to whatever ratio your texture is.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Actually you can create your own multiply node with a little ingenuity and outsmarting the application. You can use a Float List to create your math node.

See the attached image on how to do it. Basically the math is:

Input+(Input*(Multiplier-1))=Multiplied value

1.352*.9 = 1.2168
1.352+(1.352*(.9-1))=1.352+(1.352*-.1)=1.352-0.1352=1.2168

-Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MultiplierController.jpg (83.3 KB, 44 views)

Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
NinaNinja
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY
Actually you can create your own multiply node with a little ingenuity and outsmarting the application. You can use a Float List to create your math node.

See the attached image on how to do it. Basically the math is:

Input+(Input*(Multiplier-1))=Multiplied value

1.352*.9 = 1.2168
1.352+(1.352*(.9-1))=1.352+(1.352*-.1)=1.352-0.1352=1.2168

-Eric

niiiiiiiiiiiiice, I tried "outsmarting the application" with every node that remotely resembled a math/multiply-node but no luck, but that float list works perfectly! thx

Could be that slate is more powerful than I give it credit for, but that I'm just spoiled by the intuative-perfection that is UDK,

Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Quote:
niiiiiiiiiiiiice, I tried "outsmarting the application" with every node that remotely resembled a math/multiply-node but no luck, but that float list works perfectly! thx

Could be that slate is more powerful than I give it credit for, but that I'm just spoiled by the intuative-perfection that is UDK,
It really has nothing to do with Slate, but to do with controllers in 3ds max. To get math nodes in 3ds max they would have to be actual controllers that could input other controllers and output a controller result. Luckily with 3ds max there are more than one way to get to the same end result.

-Eric

Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread