Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
artbybath
portfolio
S. Le
Canada

Next gen poly model count

Hello,

This question is for modellers working on games for the new consoles...or people in the know I guess.

Are poly counts for models higher? More Then 10,000 tris for hero characters, or is the texture resolution just higher now?

Thanks

Last edited by artbybath : 07-08-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: title too vague

Old 07-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Games are already at more than 10,000 tris for characters. But you could definitely increase that for the next gen. As an example for Star Citizen they have a character at 100,000. You could even setup characters for real time tessellation which will smooth the model beyond what it already is.
The next gen consoles have a lot more memory than last gen so they should be capable of quite a bit.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

I sometimes wonder about that. Does anyone know who decides on the tri count? Do the console makers supply guidelines to the games makers, or do the games makers experiment and see how high they can push the tri count and texture quality/file sizes before the game starts to slow the console down?

Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
gislikon
portfolio
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
I sometimes wonder about that. Does anyone know who decides on the tri count? Do the console makers supply guidelines to the games makers, or do the games makers experiment and see how high they can push the tri count and texture quality/file sizes before the game starts to slow the console down?

There is only a certain amount of memory to go around, so different parts of the game are split into different budgets.

For example, if you want your hero character to be 20.000 polys you'll have to scale back on something else.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

There's not really any guidelines. Until the game is finished you don't know what all the objects are so your environment might not have that much to it which means you could have more detailed characters or it could be the other way. For the most part you keep it as low as possible and just guess. I think with say games like The Last of Us they were probably more particular since the PS3 doesn't have very much memory.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
ienrdna
wireframed

portfolio
Andrei S
Finland

Check out this video. Thats current gen.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
artbybath
portfolio
S. Le
Canada

Yea,
While playing The Last of Us. It made me curios how much more are they going to bump it up. Since it already looks good. I was thinking sandbox games, with the detail of The Last of Us will be the norm.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

kind of depends on the environment detail and the number of characters on a screen at any given time.

At this point I think people are going to start going nuts now that the memory has jumped such a huge amount. All the careful planning from the past will start getting ignored until people hit the cap and will then start learning how to optimize all over again.

Last edited by DanHibiki : 07-08-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
TheDistiller
Frequenter

portfolio
Christian Hecht
3d generalist
Toronto, Canada

Here's an interesting thread with tons of characters and their polycount from current and next-gen games:

http://beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43975&page=55

Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster

The engine and the game style and requirements dictate it, usually on grounds of what the lowest hardware specs can deal with.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread