Juzwa
Expert

portfolio
Józef Plata
VFX TD
Poland

Exploding high res object

Hi,

I have a high res object (9mln poly!), its a detailed ground mesh in a scene. I need to fragment the object in direction like on this picture:

I decided to cut this Ground Mesh into few layers. Sth like this:

Im using ProCutter. However the mesh itself is so heavy that its 5 hours and still doing calculations. I noticed that 3dsMax used 11GB ram in just a few seconds, but then it slowed down. Its taking another 1-2MB every minute, so pretty slow. I guess Max itself reached its limits. The workstation im working on is pretty fast: 2 x Xeon e5, 64GB ram.

So there have to be a better approach, much faster. Even if I manage to fragment 9mln poly mesh I dont think Max would handle too much separate objects in this scene.

My second idea is to use something like displace on a low proxy mesh of original Ground Mesh, and use a high mesh as a displace map. Ofcourse I would need to make some kind of a projection from high res to proxy low res. Its a better approach, but I'm thinking that not flawless: this would create visible sims between fragments. I can use many layers and hide-unhide when compositing, but sims on fragments that would stay still (red lines 1 & 2) might be visible all the time.

This is my first that huge destruction ever and its my own non-profit project. I'm pretty confused and not sure if its a proper way to make it work.

Do You have any suggestions?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
fferro2
Expert
forensic animator

i was involved in a very similar project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWCFEgZYZ4s
How do you get the original mesh?
You can import the mesh in different resolutions, cut them with a vol. select modifier and use the very high count just where matters.
Best

Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
PelDaddy
Know-it-All
Joe Laffey
The Stable VFX
St. Louis, USA

If that is exact type of pattern perhaps you could first chop off the two large side pieces (detach them to separate objects), leaving only the stuff in the center that you want to fragment. This would give you a lot less to deal with at the outset. then you could fragment the middle stuff.

One way or another you want to get any geometry that is not being fragmented out of the way, even if it is a detach and then later weld.

Also, perhaps you could ProOptimize the mesh before you try to cut it up? Terrains are often perfect grids, which are royally poly inefficient.

If you can do it with a lower res object overall, and then apply a render-time displacement to it, or a normal map that would make things much faster as well...

Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread