Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #16
Michael32766
Frequenter
mash
hey can you fix this?
Digital Migrant Worker, Mongolia

Not defending "Defiance" but keep in mind most pilot shows are usually pretty rough.
As a reminder go back and watch the first episode of "Star Trek TNG"
or "Babylon 5".

Old 04-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

Such a shame that people rate this poorly. I could understand why people have this opinion. Personally I think it's an okay, a mediocre series, I believe that the series is over reaching and just adding too many elements to the plot. I think that they thought of a lot of ideas and instead of reducing some of the ideas, they just went ahead and threw everything together. This made it weird and for the viewer to try and figure out all these different aliens, a lot of historical events that happened in the timeline of this universe, and the whole changed Earth environment.

However I feel that for a TV series, the VFX are better than most series and I can see a lot of work has gone into it.

"The final shot count was close to 1100 shots for 13 hours of television"

They also had a relatively small team,

"The work was completed with team that varied from 10 to 17 artists."

Be interesting to know what the budget was.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
Apoclypse
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael32766
Not defending "Defiance" but keep in mind most pilot shows are usually pretty rough.
As a reminder go back and watch the first episode of "Star Trek TNG"
or "Babylon 5".

This is true. The only exception I'm aware of is Lost, which probably has the best pilot of any show ever made.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Well, I couldn't make it through the pilot. The show was just "off" for me. The VFX, though, were wonderful. I am surprised at those who call them generic. Maybe they are too spoiled by the biggest feature films. I think they were some of the best I have ever seen on TV. (except for maybe some Stargate stuff) Clearly a lot of Vue Infinite environments going on.

I am not surprised to find out some people from Blood and Chrome worked on it, considering how well the green screen and all CGI environment scenes were pulled off.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
Mr Whippy
Frequenter
Graphics and stuff

I've not watched it yet, but got bored of the adverts for it when trying to watch DS9 and TNG every night haha.

It looked so so. If the adverts were meant to grab me then they didn't, and I generally love Sci-Fi stuff.

Not sure what is missing from it. It looked visually very nice and the concepts etc are fantastic for us to look through and appreciate. It's just a shame I don't want to actually watch it.

Well done to the art-workers and artists as usual, amazing work

Dave

Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
Crotalis
Expert
portfolio
Jason
Designer
upper uncton ..., USA

Quote:
I am surprised at those who call them generic.

Speaking for myself, my "generic" comment was more aimed at the actual makeups/character designs. I thought everything else was great (the sets in particular). The aliens just didn't have enough uniqueness to grab me.

Although I admittedly turned it off not too long after the discovery that you shut down mankind's greatest genetically engineered super soldier (we'll call him Blue Hulk ... cause that's what he looked like ...) by a hard blow to the butt. Literally. Like if he ever sat down too hard he'd knock himself out. So yeah, something much cooler could have happened after that and I just missed it. lol

Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #22
Pixanaut
Secure and Secret.
Not gonna tell ya.
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkherow

Be interesting to know what the budget was.

I read somewhere that the budget was $40million for the show + $50million for the game + $15million for advertising (from what I recall). At any rate, the total investment in the IP was $105 million for one season and the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoclypse
This is true. The only exception I'm aware of is Lost, which probably has the best pilot of any show ever made.

I thought 'Alias' had a really solid pilot too.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #23
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

I wonder how they can afford to spend that much on the show when they don't get nearly as many viewers as regular TV. They are doing pretty great for the channel but it doesn't even compare to other shows.

I like the show so far, but I kinda get the impression that the show was kind of a "developed" show, like they just felt like a show needed to be made rather than someone was really passionate about the idea and they liked it.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #24
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
I really liked the pilot. I have been floored by the quality of tv series of late so the competition is pretty tough. I am a scify fan so the subject is right up my ally.

I really like the two main characters. The shifty eyed hero reminds me of the sneaky looking main character from Vikings, the sort of character that could do anything at any moment. The sidekick alien chick is brilliant and extremely well made up, with those huge eyes and being small in stature makes the hero bigger. She could be a bit more unrelenting I reckon.

Giving away the end plot clue at the conclusion of the pilot was a bit of a shame. We get to find out who the baddies are too quickly. I am a Farscape and Firefly fan and like the successful series Supernatural, Stargate, Startreck all these plots involve travelling which offers a sense of freedom and adventure. Here in Defiance we are stuck in one place and it will be interesting to see if this has any effect.

I am looking forward to seeing how this one develops.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

It wasn't bad. A small step above the typical "outsider comes to town" melodrama. I found the number of aliens a bit weird, but the world-building and settings were nice. VFX were pretty solid for tv, just a really bad explosion when the gate goes down. Volge are just nameless Halo-type beasties, stiffly animated. As usual for 99% of shows, military tactics are silly or non-existent, but then that's pretty much a given for tv (and most films). Lead guy is bland. Looks like they were shooting for a Firefly-level cast, but missed the mark.

Not sure I'd keep on watching, but it didn't make me want to gouge my eyes out the way shows like Terra Nova did.

Oh, and I meant to add the best line in the whole show: "That scaffolding looks suspicious."

Last edited by Artbot : 04-26-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
Gingerhammer
Freelance/Starving
portfolio
Lee Kenning
Macclesfield, United Kingdom

I'm almost desperate for some quality sci-fi tv and big budget visuals is very enticing - but it's the core characters, their reveals and their development that are the soul of a show and I'm often disappointed. The first episode hasn't convinced me, and I'm a little wary of hoping..but I'm looking forward to being surprised. Maybe after the pilot drawing in a crowd and getting people talking about its budget and awesome back-drops, some quality writers (who have spent the time analysing past shows and who want to show off their cleverness) will be lined up to take the reigns?

One thing I grew tired of with tv series' is quickly resolved plots. The battle to defend Defiance could have been a really interesting start, showing off some tech creativity amongst the town folk who have no war experience and setting Defiance up as a town that shouldn't survive but manages to, and with style. But nope, we got a battle that had no thought put into it and the passing stranger gets promoted to Sheriff. My fear is now we are going to get yet another law-enforcement story line.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread