Mudbox on a tablet !?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Mudbox on a tablet !?

Does Mudbox 2013 or the newser 2014 runs on a tablet like surface Pro or another and works perfectly well with pressure sensitivity pen ?

Any recommendations ?

Old 04 April 2013   #2
every wacom will work fine...

Old 04 April 2013   #3
This doesn't seem to be the case.

Surface Pro tablet uses wacom, but from the following review
http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/
mudbox doesn't even run on it!

It seems that nvidia/ati gfx card is essential for it to run...
so Surface pro is out of the league unfortunately...

Any other tablet pc recommendations ?

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Mudbox needs a very powerful dedicated graphics card. Most high end mobile laptop cards are going to be less than ideal, let alone a Tegra3...

I've run zBrush on a netbook before though and managed it. So that would probably run on a SurfacePro if you just want to do some quick sculpts on the go.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
To expand on DrZenith's answer: Mudbox's viewport is based on OpenGL (a 3d API) that requires a reasonably powerful video card to run properly - either AMD/ATI or Nvidia. Most (if not all) Windows tablets (and laptops/notebooks) come equipped with an Intel video chip or a low-power ati/invidia gpu: these are notoriously bad and slow for Opengl acceleration and support.

Zbrush, however, does not use OpenGL, but its own proprietary software rendered viewport. This makes it quite capable even on a lowly Intel chip. On my Asus EPE121 Windows tablet I can smoothly sculpt at 8 million polygons. It is more a question of ram memory and cpu as limiting factors than the installed gpu.

On my EPE121 OpenGL really struggles - anything over ~100000 polygons is laggy and slow to work with. Sculpt mode in Blender (which does run on lower end hardware) is still okay'ish at ~400k faces, and sort-of workable, but not exactly pleasant ;-) (6fps)

And even on "high-end" Windows tablets with ATI/NVIDIA discrete graphics Mudbox will probably run like a dog. And those cost an arm and a leg.

So, the solution for (semi-serious) sculpting on the road would be zBrush. No work-around at the moment.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Would it have been possible to mention those tablet with windows and ati/nvidia gpu that arae available at the moment ?
Both laptops and tablets that can be used easily on the go are welcome.

Any proposals ?

Old 05 May 2013   #7
The new Lenovo comes with a 1024 pressure level capable Wacom screen. Great battery life, a retina like screen, ssd, etc. But I am willing to bet that this one will be Intel based. Awesome for zbrush, though.
http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/t...thinkpad-helix/

Then there's this one: http://www.t3.com/reviews/panasonic-4k-tablet-review
Well, no Wacom, and too large to be carrying around.

Or this one:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pr...spx?pid=4456#sp
Very nice, but still Intel only.

Honestly, most (if not all) of these newer tablets come with a Intel HD4000 chipset built-in.

Another example:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2011...and-laptop.html

And even with discrete graphics, things will not exactly run great in 3d. Most of the mobile gpu's from Nvidia and Ati hardly come close to the performance of their desktop siblings.

There is another alternative:
http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro

Very expensive, but probably currently the only solution if you want to use Mudbox on the go.
Be prepared to dig deep into your wallet!

Honesly, just learn Zbrush, and get one of the modern HD4000 based Windows tablets and 8gb of memory. The thinkpad Helix would fit the bill perfectly. I can sculpt really well on my epe121.

Btw: Wacom is supposed to be working on a tablet on the go. If anything, it should have a dedicated gpu, otherwise why bother?

Old 05 May 2013   #8
One other solution: get a good gamer's laptop, and connect a wacom tablet/the new cintiq. Done!

*Edit*
Made a mistake regarding the modbook pro: it's only an Intel HD 4000 chip. So no go for Mudbox. Why is that thing so expensive? ;-)

Another alternative is the Razer Edge:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6858/...zer-edge-review

Connect a Wacom, and sculpt on the go. Battery life stinks, though. :-(

Last edited by hvanderwegen : 05 May 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
There is no option available that may run mudbox as zbrush runs on tablet ?!?!?!?

Also as far as I've checked, pen pressure sensitivity seems to be an issue in all those options... not to mention the M$ Surface pro.
Not only under zbrush but also under Photoshop as well..

So all in all, mudbox is as of now, out of the tablet era right ?

Last edited by tristratos : 05 May 2013 at 08:08 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Originally Posted by tristratos: [...]

It's more like the tablet era is moving along on its own agenda, which doesn't include high power 3D graphics applications.

Sooner or later there will be tablets that can easily run programs like Mudbox and Maya, but they'll be very expensive. The majority of tablets being sold right now are being used by people using nothing more intensive than Office and Facebook.

Personal computer usage is about to undergo a major segregation between the mobile computers and the desktop workstations, and this isn't going to be good for us, as the prices of powerful machines will begin to rise again.

Might as well start learning Linux or Mac now too, as Windows for desktops likely won't be developed for more than maybe a couple more years...

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Originally Posted by tristratos: There is no option available that may run mudbox as zbrush runs on tablet ?!?!?!?

Also as far as I've checked, pen pressure sensitivity seems to be an issue in all those options... not to mention the M$ Surface pro.

The thing is, desktop PCs, gaming GPUs, Wacom tablets etc are technologies that have been around for a looong time. Tablet computers (in their current form) are quite new, and the main focus of them is low power hardware so people have great battery lives with them.

My GeForce GTX 670 is bigger than my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1!

Also, even if a tablet could run Mudbox, often .mud files run in to the GBs and would fill the memory in hours.

Originally Posted by twosheds: Might as well start learning Linux or Mac now too, as Windows for desktops likely won't be developed for more than maybe a couple more years...

Maybe a little sensationalist (..."couple more years"), but a Windows desktop-less future terrifies me. Nothing else quite seems to cut it in my opinion.

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Thing is, the manufacturers did try their hands at professional tablets long before the advent of the iPad and Android. But the market for these expensive and powerful tablets was so small and niche, that almost no-one seems to care for this market anymore (unless we include construction, military and medical markets).

The current line of consumer tablets are all aimed at... well, consumers! Not at professionals working in 3d asset generation.

And I have to argue with you on the point of pressure sensitivity issues - my EPE121 works extremely well and precise in all applications, including Photoshop, Toonboom, and so on. I have no qualms at all in that regard.

To answer your question: wait for the new Lenovo Helix to come out soon, learn Zbrush, and enjoy a powerful tablet, a proper digitizer pen with buttons, 8gb, with a built-in Wacom that supports 1024 pressure levels. And a great retina-like 1920*1080 11inch screen. And 10 hours running time on the go!

Originally Posted by tristratos: There is no option available that may run mudbox as zbrush runs on tablet ?!?!?!?

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread