Krakatoa Magma Flow training?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Krakatoa Magma Flow training?

I've been using Krakatoa for the past couple of days and came to the point where I had to edit my PRT channels. I'm not new to Krakatoa, but I'm always hesitant to open up Magma because it confuses me a bit. I think because I know it can do many things but I don't intuitively know where to start most of the time.

I find myself always searching through the documentation/tutorials on Thinkbox's site to sort of slap together something that works(I've found out I'm not the only one). I was wondering if there are any resources or plans to come out with a "Start Here" - "Advanced" type training?

I think my problem is that I know you can do many things, but I'm not quite sure of the extent.

I'm curious if anyone else feels the same?

Old 03 March 2013   #2
There is some training - the thinkbox youtube channel, and my youtube playlist for naiad/krakatoa for example. The way I do it - imagine what I want to do, then come up with the process, and it's step by step adding things till I get the right result and all the controls I need. Might put some more videos on youtube

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Originally Posted by Glacierise: There is some training - the thinkbox youtube channel, and my youtube playlist for naiad/krakatoa for example. The way I do it - imagine what I want to do, then come up with the process, and it's step by step adding things till I get the right result and all the controls I need. Might put some more videos on youtube

After I posted my question yesterday, I did some digging and found Thinkbox's stuff on their youtube channel. It's sad because I was already subscribed, but totally forgot about their videos.

I'm also subscribed to you already so I will definitely keep an eye out. I always found myself trying to just figure out KCM's and then abandoning it once I got busy. However, since I've become a lot more comfortable with TP, Magma makes a lot more sense now.

I think it's like anything, repetition and just understanding how you have to deal with it's data and UI. Thanks for the heads up Hristo

Old 03 March 2013   #4
If you come up with good ideas and workflow enhancements, not to mention issues as well, feel free to suggest or report problems in their official forum (I know Pixo has access to the the beta forum too), Thinkbox is very receptive to good ideas and they have a tendency to fix issues quickly

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Originally Posted by mstarktv: I think it's like anything, repetition and just understanding how you have to deal with it's data and UI.

Definitely And Magma is very nice, unlike TP, in blackboxing stuff and just leaving the controls exposed, so you can have a nice library of good operators quite quickly.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Ive always been more of a person to just get into a program and do things until they work. I use tutorials some times but a lot of the times I've found that they don't always give me exactly what I want. Tutorials can help, but for me they are just a starting point. Don't be afraid to just start trying things to see what they do. I tried using Magma, Most of what i learned was just by trying random things with PRT channels just to see what they did. It didn't always work out, but I learned more than what the basic tutorials you will find thought me.

(P.S. My roommate who is a geology major saw me replying here and wanted to complain about the title of the thread. He would like to mention that Krakatoa is a stratovolcano and its magma wouldnt flow. He doesnt understand what 3D workflows are though.)

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Originally Posted by ChrisLSimpson: Ive always been more of a person to just get into a program and do things until they work. I use tutorials some times but a lot of the times I've found that they don't always give me exactly what I want. Tutorials can help, but for me they are just a starting point. Don't be afraid to just start trying things to see what they do. I tried using Magma, Most of what i learned was just by trying random things with PRT channels just to see what they did. It didn't always work out, but I learned more than what the basic tutorials you will find thought me.

(P.S. My roommate who is a geology major saw me replying here and wanted to complain about the title of the thread. He would like to mention that Krakatoa is a stratovolcano and its magma wouldnt flow. He doesnt understand what 3D workflows are though.)

Oh, for me, tutorials are more of a showcase and way to immerse me in the program with explanations as it advances. Basically it's what you said, but because I don't have a lot of time it makes more sense for me to offset the teaching to someone who is experienced.

I guess what I'm saying is that an experienced teacher can show me the depth at which a tool goes so I can use it. I don't know what I don't know.

Also, I think your roommate can rest assured knowing that Magma isn't tied directly to Krakatoa and comes with other plugins by Thinkbox too

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Originally Posted by ChrisLSimpson: (P.S. My roommate who is a geology major saw me replying here and wanted to complain about the title of the thread. He would like to mention that Krakatoa is a stratovolcano and its magma wouldnt flow. He doesnt understand what 3D workflows are though.)

There you go, I learned something! Say thanks to your roommate

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread