Seams/Unwrapping/Uv Layout

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Seams/Unwrapping/Uv Layout

Hello,

im working on this project that involves mapping from uv layout to 3ds max. I have a simple room in 3d, and when i open it on 3ds max and use unwrap modifier it has already some green seams which do not help me because i use uv layout and this green seam, im pointing out on my red arrow on the image attached to this post, is currently blue on uv layout and wont allow me to weld the edges.

What i need is to delete this green seam so the wall "continues" on that polygon inside the window, this way it will be the same wall, and not 2 apart. I already checked the geometry and there isnt any vertex overlapped. I thought this would happen because the geometry could be broken on that edge, but it isn't.

Im new to mapping on 3ds max using unwrap UVW, so i don't know how to simple remove it. I seen other tutorials and i cant simply click on the seam using edit seams and alt or ctrl, can't even do it on tools > break.

Im kinda running out of options

If any of you guys know how to do this please let me know

Thanks

Old 02 February 2013   #2
You might find there's actually a hole there. Unwelded vertices, not just unwelded UVs. Collapse the stack, select all verts and weld with a low tolerance. Go to border mode and select all. See if that little strip gets selected. If it does, then it's a hole.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
I checked the vertex and there isn't any overlapped. I did the weld with low threshold and it was all ok I don't know what to do now. I really thought was the vertex too. I need to get that green seam away otherwise it won't look good.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Well it's green in Max as it's a legitimate UV seam. The UVs aren't the same on both sides of the edge. Why not just select that whole poly and quick planar map it. If the seam goes away it was just UVs. If it doesn't, then it's open edges or something like that.

Since it's so simple, you might as well just map it all in max. Why bother trying to transfer it to UV Layout, when Max is already fine for mapping boxy stuff like this. Quick Planar map will do 90% of the work if you want to do it manually, or unfold or flatten or peel if you want to let it do it automatically. Then stitch or layout as required. About 10mins.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
I did it! It wasn't working even with planar map so was definitly the geometry. Thanks!

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread