Partial crease/Weight

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #1
Partial crease/Weight

HI everyone!

I just have one simple question. I usually model in Maya and has begun to explore Modo. Then I tested a demo of Silo and really enjoyed it!!!

But I can´t find any function that allows you to controll the amount of edge crease/weight. In maya you have the partial crease and in Modo you can controll the weight with an interactive slider.

I can´t however seem to find any similar function in Silo. The crease function just creates a full crease, but I don´t want that....?! Have I missed something, or doesn´t Silo have a function like that?

Regards
Mikael L
www.mikedesign.se

Old 07 July 2005   #2
No Silo doesn't have that feature, I'm not sure how useful it would be anyway since you couldn't export the information as far as I know.

I believe that Cinema (and Modo?) can read Lightwave's edge weighting but I'm not aware of any other apps that can use the weighting info of another.

If you were rendering direct from Silo it could be useful I suppose but you can acheive the same effect by edge bevelling. - Baz

Old 07 July 2005   #3
OK, so if you model a object in, say Modo, with various weights to different edges, you can´t keep that information when exporting to Maya?

I´m very new to SubD modelling, I usually use nurbs in Studiotools, but I find subd to be good at an exploratory stage.

Thanks for your answer!

Old 07 July 2005   #4
Try it and see! I don't think so though. If you saved as .lwo I would guess the weighting would work in Lightwave and possibly Cinema. I can't be sure though. If you want to try and get the info into Maya I would think .obj or .fbx would be good formats to try, maybe .lwo if Modo and Maya support it.

I would think the simplest way round this would be to export selections, that way you could apply edge, face or vertex weighting relatively easily. Unfortunately this isn't possible either at the moment but I would think it would be relatively easy to add a tag to the vertex or edge info in the exported file. Then you have the problem of getting your rendering app to read the info! - Baz

Old 07 July 2005   #5
Actually, Baz, you COULD export it if you're working on a low res cage and apply a point weight or edge weight to an area then subdvided before export. Then the model would have the extra detail without you having to go and manually add it in. Rhino does this with NURBS (that's why my wires are so light).

Old 07 July 2005   #6
True, you can export the mesh detail but I don't know any way to export the weighting info so that you can use the same edge weighting in another app :(

Old 07 July 2005   #7
Well...that's true. We do kind of need a universally excepted method of weighting. Would make moving from program to program easier. Until then, meshing before export's the way to go if you don't want to manually edit the weight back later in your second app.

Old 07 July 2005   #8
Originally Posted by Teyon: Well...that's true. We do kind of need a universally excepted method of weighting. Would make moving from program to program easier. Until then, meshing before export's the way to go if you don't want to manually edit the weight back later in your second app.

The problem is that applications support various methods.

Silo (from this thread) supports none
LW supports Vertex weights
Maya only supports on/off or half way
Modo supports edge weights as a floating point percentage positive or negative.

Old 07 July 2005   #9
I am able to export out of xsi to maya retaining creasing. Granted it is full. This in aon obj file. I really miss this feature in silo, one of my favs in xsi. Oh well some day one app will do it all right?

Old 07 July 2005   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread