Art Movies

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #16
There definately are a large number of films about famous artist's lives, cant name any off the top of my head but I remember being shown a multitude of them during art school. I dont think however, that any of them were Hollywood blockbusters, like LEEBLEEB mentioned, Hollywood is likely to make a sensationalist movie and just tack the artist's name on as an afterthought. For a real look at the lives of artists you're much better to look to documentaries and independant movies. For example, 'Frida' (about the life of Frida Kahlo) was one of the more recent movies I've seen and it made amazing use of her paintings to illustrate scenes in her life. However, in all movies some artistic license is taken and I agree with jbo that their actual work should be inspirational enough.
On a slightly different note, I find inspiration in a lot of movies that are artistic in their approach to the landscapes, sets and costumes, these are things created by artists who dont have their name carved in stone but are no less talented.

"I try to make everyone's day a little more surreal." - Calvin and Hobbes

Old 04 April 2005   #17
There was a Van Gough movie once. It was french i think.

It had alot of Nudity. As you would expect lol
Its

SUPERMAX!!!

Old 04 April 2005   #18
Vincent & Theo was pretty good despite what the reviewers said.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
Leonardo da Vinci

Old 04 April 2005   #19
TNT made a "movie" about Michaelangelo and DaVinci called "A Season of Giants". I remember watching the first part of it and thinking it was okay. IMDB says it was broadcast in 1991 and had Smallville's John Glover playing Leonardo. The thing about movies about artists is that most of them focus on how messed up they are emotionally and mentally, and it's hard to get inspired by someone who's idiosyncratically mad (mad I say!).

Old 04 April 2005   #20
Originally Posted by FreshFish801: I think Hollywood should start making some art movies that inspire the creative mind. What do you guys think ?

Lol You can find that kind of stuff on PBS. There are a lot of creative stuff on PBS at times.

(PBS is a tv channel)
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Old 04 April 2005   #21
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread