C4D Artist Scoring Sci-Fi Film Soundtracks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
C4D Artist Scoring Sci-Fi Film Soundtracks

I've been a long time user of Cinema 4D from way back in 1995 on the old Amiga 1200 and use to regularly post here since registering way back in 2002 on this forum and owned / upgraded Cinema 4D from R6 to R11.5 on the PC platform. If there's one thing that hasn't changed, it's my desire to produce music, and it's something I recognised from as young as 8....some 32 years ago. With a raging enthusiasm I hunted down Amiga music programs like soundtrackers...added midi keyboards and eventually settled on a daw that I would use for years and eventually switch from. Today I use Presonus Studio One 3.5, along side a couple of midi synthesisers and I7 920 custom built system of 2010.

But even with all these wonderful tools, producing music is an art form just as creating things in 3D is. Pushing your own boundaries and imagination beyond what you've created before, adapting techniques you've learned previously, taking risks, giving yourself a challenge. For me producing film score music is just that and is greatly rewarding when I've completed it. In years past I've scored for films shown at the local cinema, documentary based, and it's quite a thrill inside to have an audience of 100 people engage with not only what they see but with what they feel that music has a powerful connection with. The ability to convey emotions and tell a story through music, is one thing...but how it all fits together....and how it's paced.... is for me, equally important to get right.....something which I think I've appreciated more, over the past few years. in a practical sense.

There's a number of film score type tracks I've produced over the past year, and another sci-fi one I've not published that's completed, which is about female human looking prototype cyborg, which I'm trying to conceive a film for, using 3D CGI animated imagery and real world footage. How I'm going to tackle such an ambitious project, is still in the developing of ideas stages. The track itself has all the audio cue's and FX laid out. Normally films are produced and a music score produced for it, but here I'm going to try and do the opposite...because the story is in the music.

In any case I've never actually had any of my work commissioned for any commercial well known films, but it would be exciting to have that opportunity to do so...I've never actually made any money out of the music I've created, nor sold it.

Music wise I typically focus around, trance, ambient with a fusion of orchestral elements..

Between soundcloud and soundclick I've over 40 tracks that one can freely listen to, dating back as far as 2001.

This is filmscore I completed earlier this year. It was inspired by my graphic artworks and the surrounding area where I live.
The surrounding story below was written after, but the track itself is a story within itself.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncri...y_t_r_o_p_h_i_a

The story of
SYTROPHIA

SYTROPHIA - Is a colony city based on the moon Europa, which has been
created by robotic machines sent from earth. The elements of earth which
are essential for human life to exist were sent there. Animals from earth were
sent in cryogenic containers, but no normal animals, these were modified
at DNA level to cope with the conditions on the moon
but have mutated in frightening ways.

The DNA that was injected into these animals contain human DNA so their
behavior would simulate human characteristics and be more advanced than
those on earth. The robotic machines, were disconnected from remote
controls from earth when the control tower was taken out by an
electrical storm. In such conditions, the robots default back to their
original games mode which is to fight, defend and attack. They are
completely self automated, and since developed their own instructions
which are set to eliminate other surrounding planets, including earth.
The colony on the moon Europa has deteriorated badly since, however a
primitive church remains and is used by the DNA modified animals to warn
of threats from robots and intruders.

You are an intruder, a modified solider, part machine / part human a cyborg and you have been
sent to disable the robots central computer system on SYTROPHIA and
prevent them from attacking earth.

Last edited by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\- : 12 December 2017 at 11:04 PM.

12 December 2017
Did Scotty find his niche? Almost.... If you make some CG visuals to accompany them, you've got yourself a relevant C4D thread.

I gave you my time and listened briefly to almost all of your tracks and give one thumb up for your enthusiasm.

My biggest criticism is that a lot of what you've made, doesn't sound mastered, with bass often buried in the mix, falling completely flat on my otherwise beautiful B&W system.
I would recommend taking your work to an expert, somebody who can help you to get the most out of your mixes.

You're on to some good stuff with your film score-like ambient intro, but once the beat kicked in, you lost me.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Did Scotty find his niche? Almost.... If you make some CG visuals to accompany them, you've got yourself a relevant C4D thread.

I gave you my time and listened briefly to almost all of your tracks and give one thumb up for your enthusiasm.

My biggest criticism is that a lot of what you've made, doesn't sound mastered, with bass often buried in the mix, falling completely flat on my otherwise beautiful B&W system.
I would recommend taking your work to an expert, somebody who can help you to get the most out of your mixes.

You're on to some good stuff with your film score-like ambient intro, but once the beat kicked in, you lost me.

Well, my music hasn't ever been kick and bass heavy, but the bass and kick is there acting as the foundations...if you want hear that, you'll need to dial up the bass a couple of notches on your hi fi / computer. All the tracks unless for experimental purposes are carefully mixed however, and it's that which is most important. The final bounced down material is lifted volume wise and EQ'ed to the level I'm monitoring at. When you're creating multiple tracks it's important that each track is consistent..so that adjustments can be done at any final master of multiple tracks together. For reference though, the tracks are produced and monitored on pro level Audio Technical M50 studio monitoring headphones.

Oh the CGI imagery of the cover image was created with Cinema 4D R11.5, the church I modelled by hand while the Greebler plugin was used for the landscape which encompass other modelled buildings. It's all composited in Photoshop CS6.

The Planet

Ships were modelled separately.

Last edited by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\- : 12 December 2017 at 07:29 AM.

12 December 2017
I like the soundtrack. for me it has the tone of Jean-Michel Jarre, one of my favorite synth jazz artist. his album, Oxygene, is incredible and mind tripping, it takes me away.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by unclebob: I like the soundtrack. for me it has the tone of Jean-Michel Jarre, one of my favorite synth jazz artist. his album, Oxygene, is incredible and mind tripping, it takes me away.
Interesting you say that, as Jean-Michel Jarre has always been one of my idols and influences in the type of music I enjoyed listening to growing up after watching him in the mid 80's and early 1990's on TV doing his big stage events. My dad could play 5 different instruments and could sing well so growing up I had a strong connection music right from the outset. I was apparently almost deaf until I was 4 years old, which was completely fixed when I had my adenoids removed. Although I hammered away on my dad's organ, it wasn't until the age of 8 when I got my first keyboard .. a Casio SK1, the one that had sampling functions. What is interesting to note is that, 32 years later... is that this track encompassed the use of the Casio XW-P1 synthesiser in a few places.

There is almost 300 tracks in the production of this soundtrack, and there is a lot of detail in Sytrophia which can only really be heard at higher volumes on external speakers. For those listening, the best experience to hear all that and to be absorbed into the world I create, is on good quality headphones. Essentially the track sounds like listening in 5.1 / .7.1 surround sound, just on 2 speakers I think.

Last edited by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\- : 12 December 2017 at 06:50 AM.

12 December 2017
that is really so cool Scott. you have a knack and I would like to hear more of your recordings.
I can barely play the radio so I envy those with musical talent. LOL

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by unclebob: that is really so cool Scott. you have a knack and I would like to hear more of your recordings.
I can barely play the radio so I envy those with musical talent. LOL

If you click on my name THE INTRANCER above the title of the wave file that's displayed, or my profile picture, you will find a listing of all the tracks I've uploaded. There's a mixture of different styles, or fusion of styles of music within.

I'll list some of the dedicated filmscore soundtrack type ones in particular, although it has to be said any of them could be used for filmscores work I think.

THE CRYTOPHIUM STRAIN ------Theme: Apocalyptic / Fallout

FALL OF THE HANDS - RISE OF THE SANDS ------Theme: Action / Cataclysmic

THE SOUND OF LIGHT------Theme: Futuristic Action

ZERO HOUR DAY - ZERO HOUR NIGHT------Theme: Emotional Dark Balearic Trance

THROUGH CLOUDS OF VENUS------Theme: Sci-Fi

DRIVEN TO BEYOND FEAR------Theme: Road Based Tragedy Story

NEON SKY- END OF TIME SUNRISE------Theme: Sci-Fi / Ambient

THE NANODYNE SYSTEM-----Theme: Sci-Fi / Ambient

INFILTRATION-BF3----Theme: Short Warfare Score Segment Piece

That's just a handful, I picked out...while below is a link to other music which includes some film based work over on soundclick.

Other Music Produced Before 2012 On Soundclick

12 December 2017
Cool work Scott, you certainly have been busy. I grew up in the 80s too and am a fan or JMJ, and other 80s moody tracks, it even seeps into my tracks which I think is a good thing.

You would have a heck of a nice time with Spectrasonics Omnisphere, its right down your lane.

Dan

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Rectro: Cool work Scott, you certainly have been busy. I grew up in the 80s too and am a fan or JMJ, and other 80s moody tracks, it even seeps into my tracks which I think is a good thing.

You would have a heck of a nice time with Spectrasonics Omnisphere, its right down your lane.

Dan

Hi Dan....thanks, I've just started working on some new stuff music wise, but also exploring more in the way of Cinema 4D for visual effects I can use. Tonight I was exploring ways in which to create neon tube lighting having seen someone else in another thread attempt it. Creating a bunch of little projects and then joining them together with live video footage could be really cool for the filmscore stuff I'm doing. I feel bad for neglecting my music production more than I do for the CGI work I do, and if I'm not doing either of those things, I'm designing interfaces for musical instruments or interface concepts for Daw's, if I'm not building both GUI's and musical instruments in native instruments Reaktor 6. Talking of Reaktor 6 though...with the huge amount of ensembles.. of which a couple a hundred of them of the 2 to 3 thousand you can freely download from Native Instruments. My need for Spectrasonics Omnisphere whilst nice, is probably a luxury I don't need I think...certainly not at the 400 price point. I've got NI's Razor which even allows for vocoding, that's what I use in the Sytrophia sound track and their other all the main NI synths with exception to waveloop triggering one.

It never use to be this way but the latest Zbrush 4R8, is actually something I play around with more when I think of doing something in 3D. I bounce stuff from there over to Cinema 4D and save it for something else.. More recently I've been exploring video editors and getting to grips with the visual effects software Fusion 9 from Black Magic...All very interesting stuff...different programs, different disciplines...and a heck of a lot of stuff to try and learn lol. And also...getting to grips with a new video camcorder.

Last edited by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\- : 12 December 2017 at 05:52 AM.

reply share thread