Confusion with Caustics...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2005
Originally Posted by playmesumch00ns: I think the terms we use everyday have been bastardised to cover a whole gamut of different effects. As the technology develops and we increasingly take our cue from the sciences of radiometry etc. the precise definitions of words becomes increasingly important. Science is the only business where techno-jargon is justified

Yeah but I hear people bastardize things all the time, just to use the the "cool" new technical term. I have even heard supervisors say: "I want to see more fresnel on that object..." when what they really mean is that they want it to be more reflective.

As the rendering software starts to become better and better at recreating real world lighting, it is important that we use real world terminology, as you have pointed out. And while I come from a scientific background, as a lighting artist today, I find it more important to adapt to the same language that they use on set (in the real world). That means using the same language as they use in cinematography.... and the term Specular and Diffuse LIGHT are used all the time... and the term Shinny and Matte SURFACES are used all the time. Sometimes simple words give the best results. They are not as sexy, but there is a reason they have been around for so long. But that is just me, some people like to use more scientific terms such as caustics and fresnel, and those are valid too as long as they are used correctly.
  03 March 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread