Ouya - Android based, Kickstarter funded Game Console

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Ouya - Android based, Kickstarter funded Game Console

I found this really interesting:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eo-game-console

Its a new open, Android 4.0 based game console that has so far raised 5.78 Million Dollars from 45,100 backers on Kickstarter.

It will be fully compatible with all existing Android tablet/smartphone games from launch.

If all goes well, the Ouya will be available to buy in March 2013, for only 99 Dollars a piece.

Here are the tech specs for it:

• Tegra3 quad-core processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8GB of internal flash storage
  • HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth LE 4.0
  • USB 2.0 (one)
  • Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
  • Android 4.0
  • ETHERNET! (Announced by Muffi 7/18)

Obviously, this isn't a PS3 or Xbox 360 killer hardware-wise.

Rather, it is a cheap, open, anyone-can-develop-for-it Android compatible game console for "the rest of us".

Its going to be interesting to see how well Ouya does in the market.

Last edited by DePaint : 07 July 2012 at 03:39 PM.

07 July 2012
This is posted already.

Also it is vaporware. If anybody believes this thing has a chance of coming out they are out of touch with reality. The makers of the console are clueless as well. It is not going to be 99$ on release, that is only for the kickstarter preorder price. I would not waste my 100$ on it though because it is never coming out.

07 July 2012
I have to agree with Ali on this. Consoles are extremely expensive to manufacture; in fact I've heard that consoles are generally manufactured at a loss, while the profit is made through licensing. This wouldn't apply in this case. The entire project is little more than a pipe dream.

07 July 2012
While I'm a skeptical backer, I'd suggest doing a bit more research before forming such a concretely negative opinion of the project. I'll admit the ouya team has done a very poor job of marketing and explaining the details behind this thing, but after reading numerous posts (particularly ones where members of the team address these concerns), it's not the disaster everyone makes it out to be.

The biggest misconception people seem to have is that it's competing as either a mobile device or a AAA console. It's neither of those things. It's a cheap hardware console designed for a niche market of people who want to tinker and make games without the large startup costs required for the big 3 consoles.

Also, I would like to ask, what's wrong with people trying to do something new? Even if they fail, isn't it important that people TRY. Without people like these, there would be no innovation.

Last edited by grantmoore3d : 07 July 2012 at 04:16 PM.

07 July 2012
There's been allot made of the kickstarter presentation video and how it presents its case. In reality, the system has No major publishers backing it. They use screen shots of title that shows Madden, (at 2:08 in the video) when EA isn't supporting it. There's allot of wishful thinking going on there and eager gamers looking for something new may have been taken for a ride.

Keep in mind what Android OS is good at.... Touch Screen. What touch screen games do you want to play on a TV?
Then key in the console being open to hacks. As it stands, Android games suffer high pirating rates. Not sure which major publishers want a platform with such little controls over their games.

Some points made against the backing of Ouya - The Trouble with Ouya

Last edited by richcz3 : 07 July 2012 at 04:40 PM.

07 July 2012
On live will be available with ouya, so big games will be playable. That alone is worth it IMHO.
Sad to see all kinds of negativity towards a creative product coming from a creative forum...
Even if it fails there is lots of potential for this console. I hope it makes it.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by leigh: I have to agree with Ali on this. Consoles are extremely expensive to manufacture; in fact I've heard that consoles are generally manufactured at a loss, while the profit is made through licensing. This wouldn't apply in this case. The entire project is little more than a pipe dream.

It couldn't be any worse than a tablet, and we see tablets being sold all over the place at a profit.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by trancerobot: It couldn't be any worse than a tablet, and we see tablets being sold all over the place at a profit.

Exactly. If people spend good money on Android phones & tablets - and they do -, why wouldn't they buy an Android console for the living room?

Especially if it doesn't cost much & lets you play your favorite Android games on a 32"- 55" HD TV.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by DePaint: Exactly. If people spend good money on Android phones & tablets - and they do -, why wouldn't they buy an Android console for the living room?

Especially if it doesn't cost much & lets you play your favorite Android games on a 32"- 55" HD TV.

Well the problem they're going to have has nothing to do with the hardware. If they can build it for less than it costs to get it sold, they can make a profit... but they need to sell the consoles in the first place to make a profit.

Personally I'd love to develop for it, I'm just a little barely-indy guy... I've got my Breakout clone on the way. But what I really want people to use is a controller for my games, not a screen. I bought Sonic CD for my tablet and I really don't like playing it much because of that screen... there's no tactile response, and sometimes my thumbs miss the target at critical times. I'd love to play other people's games on such a console as well.

It's just a question of if the developers will support it. With the controllers, Android devs are going to have to adapt their games to that. It should be easy, but if not enough developers do it, then the console will fail for adoption reasons.

It should be alright in the short term I think. I mean, the thing will come out and we'll get to play with it... I hope.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by DePaint: Exactly. If people spend good money on Android phones & tablets - and they do -, why wouldn't they buy an Android console for the living room?

I am really interested in hearing how ouya is in any way or shape appealing to the phone/tablet market. It is like you live in some fantasy land your posts couldn't be any more out of touch with reality if you tried.

People buy phones and tablets because:

a) to make phone calls!
b) portable
c) a LOT of apps that do things other than games.

Nobody ever bought a iphone to just play angry birds on it. So I am not sure how ouya is appealing to anyone in that regard unless you really like playing crappy android touchscreen games on your tv with a controller that the games are not designed for.

The main selling point of ouya is that it is "hackable out of the box" oh hell yes I am sure that the devs will loooove developing for a console that has nothing in the way of stopping piracy instead encourages it.

The money they raised so far is not even chump change. This is console manufacturing, they do not have a big order to get discounts from manufacturers. nobody is going to stop their production line to make ouyas when they can be making iphones and ipads. Once again the 5 million they raised wont cover costs let alone things like marketing (they don't even have a website) The fact that they asked 900k for the original kickstarter target is proof enough that these guys don't have the slightest clue to what they are doing. And the interviews they gave pretty much cements this because the best answer they can come up with is "no, really, we can do this" to any criticism.

Lastly there is no working sample unit. All they have is some crappy cg render and a mockup ui video. If you think you will recieve this console by next march I have a bridge to sell you.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: This is posted already.

Also it is vaporware. If anybody believes this thing has a chance of coming out they are out of touch with reality. The makers of the console are clueless as well. It is not going to be 99$ on release, that is only for the kickstarter preorder price. I would not waste my 100$ on it though because it is never coming out.

How are those words tasting after you ate them? Were they sweet or bitter?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by teatimebing: How are those words tasting after you ate them? Were they sweet or bitter?

This post can be re-used hundreds of times in pretty much any tech thread here ever.

Thread Closed share thread