|01 January 2013|
Bone Based Facial Rig Skinning Problem
I am working on rigging and skinning a face in 3DS Max, and have used Paul Neale's fourth DVD on facial rigging as a guideline. The rig itself works perfectly, all the bones stretch just as they should. And when I add the facial bones to the skin modifier and add some weight to them, it all seems fine in the base pose. I can grab the helper objects and rotate them, and it all works perfectly. However, as soon as I start to move the helper objects (scaling the bones), the vertices go crazy. They fly off in one direction or another, at a speed exponentially greater than I am moving the helper. For example, I will move one of the lip helpers down a very small amount, and the vertices weighted to it will shoot up over his head.
I have tried everything I can think of, including:
- Resetting the vertices in the skin modifier
- Making sure Normalize is turned on in the skin modifier
- Resetting the XForm of the mesh and re-skinning
- Rebuilding the rig and re-skinning
- Unlinking each bone so none are linked together
- Using both the 'scale' and 'squash' settings under Scale in the Bone Tools menu
- Tried the same rigging technique on a newly created sphere, and got the same results
- No bones have been mirrored
I am really stumped, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by autokey : 01 January 2013 at 01:46 PM.
|02 February 2013|
Thread automatically closed
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
|Thread Closed share thread|