scaling help

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

6 Days Ago
scaling help

I'm modelling a square tin with rounded corners and it has a tight fitting lid. I've modelled the tin part, and now I've duped it and want to scale the polys out a little to make the lid. They must be scaled equally all the way round the tin. I thought a normal scale would do this but it's producing the wrong result. Am I missing something?

6 Days Ago
Using a round cornered spline and the scaling tool works fine for me.
Using the outline option for the spline would work as well. But then,
I have no idea what convoluted method you may have used in doing the tin

FWIW ... here's how I'd do this. Note: Lid size is scaled via coordinates manager
on the (rounded) rectangle spline.

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Last edited by vid2k2 : 5 Days Ago at 03:35 PM.

6 Days Ago
Originally Posted by mitchino: I'm modelling a square tin with rounded corners and it has a tight fitting lid. I've modelled the tin part, and now I've duped it and want to scale the polys out a little to make the lid. They must be scaled equally all the way round the tin. I thought a normal scale would do this but it's producing the wrong result. Am I missing something?
Extrude polys? You can delete the old ones after. Does that work?
Otherwise, send me the tin model and I'll take a look.

6 Days Ago
Nose that's exactly what I did. I then had to search for your mini tutorial on UVing a tin lid. Why can't I remember these things!?

Vid, nice technique for modelling a round cornered tin. Box modelled mine in an sds.

6 Days Ago
Nose that's exactly what I did. I then had to search for your mini tutorial on UVing a tin lid. Why can't I remember these things!?

Vid, nice technique for modelling a round cornered tin. Box modelled mine in an sds.

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by mitchino: I'm modelling a square tin with rounded corners and it has a tight fitting lid. I've modelled the tin part, and now I've duped it and want to scale the polys out a little to make the lid. They must be scaled equally all the way round the tin. I thought a normal scale would do this but it's producing the wrong result. Am I missing something?
I think what you're after is the Normal Move, not the Normal Scale. That then moves out the polys on the normal axis.
Not sure it's going to work that well with your particular model though, what with the rounded open edge - you'll end up with a fatter edge.
Can you not simply scale the whole lid up by a small fraction?

5 Days Ago
Normal Move! I really can't believe I didn't try that option, exactly what I wanted. Next time...

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by mitchino: Nose that's exactly what I did. I then had to search for your mini tutorial on UVing a tin lid. Why can't I remember these things!?

Thanks ... there's always more than one way to do a thing in 3D ... here's the splines for tin and lid

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

reply share thread