Haunted Mansion, Compositional help

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Haunted Mansion, Compositional help

Hey guys

Long time since posting here, but I've been busy with school. Over break I got some time so here I'm at it again. Anyways, I got this piece that I've been workin on today, and I want it to be creepy.

I've decided to post both of these side by side so you guys get a better view. I think that the mysterious eeriness tends to disappear once you have blatant dead bodies, but I'm really struggling filling in the composition to the one without the spikes

I need help

Thanks!

12 December 2012
Hey!
I like what you have! What I'm thinking is having more of a closer foreground to add depth to the painting for example make/move the wooden fence to continue past the camera. Maybe you wanna add telephone lines and poles in the background to add the the middle section. Now I'm not sure of this but what if the building were to be smaller.. a little further away from the camera? and also to have a bit of a fog hanging over it a little? Could increase spookiness.

First time giving advice or anything so I dunno if it helps. Also I've only finished High so what I know is from observation and books and all.

Good luck!

12 December 2012
Hey man, some pretty good advice, and stuff I heavily pondered and still am. As far as the middle section I'm still playing around, tried windmill, stakes, etc. Nothing has been extremely effective yet. I'm still working on a strong foreground, but this is what I've gotten so far today.

Also, don't dumb yourself down! When you critique be confident in your own opinions. They are only wrong to someone else's opinions. Just because you don't have much experience does not mean your critique and opinions dont count for anything.

Many times the outside eye can spot better potential

12 December 2012
Hi!
In my opinion I think that is better without the stacks, because as you say, is like telling everything that is going on, leaving the viewer nothing to think about and so the eerines dissapears. Instead of the stacks, you could always draw some trees (dead or not) to add some verticality to the composition, a half demolished stone wall coming to the first plane of the picture, a little house to store tools...
I really like the water in the road, I'm not sure about this, but maybe contrasting it a little bit more could be better?

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread