Storyboarding and modeling combo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  10 October 2013
Storyboarding and modeling combo

Hello.
I had a question about an unusual combination of training that I have and was wondering if people can share their opinion.

Do storyboard artists for the animation industry always have to come from a character animation background, or can they come from a modeling/character design background instead? I love both storytelling and character design/modeling, but I have very little experience in character performance and movement.

My main training now is in 3d asset creation and concept art for games. At my school storyboarding is only taught to the people who studiy character animation. I transferred from a college where I studied art, psychology, and English (general studies before I found out about cg careers). So I feel like I would be good at storytelling and character psychology. I just donít have the animation background through. The reason I chose to study game asset creation was because I liked telling stories by the way things looked rather than the way they behaved. Kind of like all the symbolism and imagery you learn about in English classes.
Sometimes I wish that the industry were not so specialized. When I asked to audit the story class (mostly for future reference so that I'm not only a modeler), I was told that it was a bad idea since I should be focusing only on modeling.

I was curious what other people think. Should we try to incorporate a personal touch into our learning, or should we do only what what is practical and will make our demo reel look professional, expert, and specialized?

note: i am aware that some concept artists also do storyboards, but I thought pursuing concept art was too competitive for me at the moment.

Last edited by storymodeling : 10 October 2013 at 04:14 AM.

share thread