Chair model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Chair model

Hello.
I have to model a chair for a project and to be honest I'm struggling a little.

I can't seem to attach an image so here is a web link to a picture..

http://www.lacompagniemob.com/image...duct_1090_1.jpg

I'm comfortable modelling the overall shape of the seat using HyperNURBS and will be fine doing the legs but it's the birds nests of apertures that I'm having problems with. I intended to subdivide the HyperNURBS mesh and then move the points around until they're in a good position then punch holes through it using bridge. Having got to that point though I don't think it's going to work too well as some of the points will have to be moved too far out of position and the overall shape of the seat would then be wrong....I hope that makes sense.

Another idea I had was to draw out a flat elevation of the seat and then extrude and deform it using a displacer of some sort but I don't think that's a particularly good way. The legs might become problematic.

I could also cut out the holes using an alpha channel map but I don't think it would look very good, and then there's always the good old boolean subtract but that would really be a last resort.

So does anyone have any advice if they were going to model something similar? Perhaps the first idea is the better way and I just need to spend more time adjusting the points.

Thanks for any help.
SF
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4
Cinema 4D R13.058

07 July 2012
I would definitely extrude as you described, there is simply too much going on there to model by hand. Not sure what your problem was with the legs, but worst case you'll have either separate geometry for the legs, or you can carefully plan your extrusion to allow for connecting legs after the fact if you need a solid piece.

07 July 2012
Model the chair without legs, and without the holes, then use that as a form to spine model the holes and then the rest of the chair, then delete your form. Or find someone with ZBrush that has some free time, ShadowBox would knock this project out in nothing flat. Good luck.

07 July 2012
My first thought was to draw out splines and then use a sweep followed by
a wrap deformer. Using a round cornered square spline for the profile got
the edges looking good. Drawback is not being able to draw a single spline
to keep the parts from segmenting. Even the spline connector fell short.

Next approach was to boole the parts out of the solid seat. These had to be
done 1-2 at a time to keep the relationship consistent. Drawback here is that
c4d has some outdated modeling tools that don't chamfer edges without using
a plugin.

Projecting the splines and booling, could be another option, etc., etc.

In the end, I could see this would turn into several hours of experimenting
to find what combination of things worked the best.

Please keep us informed, I'd be interested what route to success was taken.
TIA

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

07 July 2012
Isn't this basically the idea? Googled a pattern, selected in PS, exported spline in AI, extrude, deform, add legs. 5 minutes.

07 July 2012
If you intend on rendering your model with transparency, the modelling is going to have to be spot on.. like the way the legs blend in to the seat part could look awful if not handled correctly. I would find modeling this with polygons a fair mission, but much easier using a nurbs modeling program like Rhino!

07 July 2012
Thank you for all the feedback, it's much appreciated.

I don't have any other 3rd party modelling programs so I'm going got have to it with in C4D.

I want it to look as accurate as possible with the legs forming out of the main body of the seat, the rim of the seat being on it's own plane that lips over at the front and the holes roughly in the right place. Looking at the options and considering I've already created a pretty accurate nurbs model of the seat without holes. I'm going to try extruding the shape from polylines (allowing a chamfer to the edges at the start) and then using a mesh deformer to form it in to the correct shape. I can use the mesh I've already made for the nurbs model to gauge how best to draw the cage for the mesh deformer.
It's going to be a little trial and error but hopefully it'll come out okay. Thanks again for the input it's invaluable. I'll post something as soon as I have it done (as long as it doesn't look too terrible!).

SF
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4
Cinema 4D R13.058

07 July 2012
Keep in mind that you can make splines editable, then use "connect and delete" to make the entire thing part of one model, then just weld or bridge the verts to the right spots. Controlling the bevel is as easy as adding edge loops once your splines are attached to polys since you are already using hyper nurbs. Good luck.

07 July 2012
Well, I finally got around to doing this. The finished model is far from perfect as I don't have the time to re-do the bits I'm unhappy about but it looks as good as I need.

I took the image of the chair that I had in to Pshop, distorted it to make a roughly flat elevation then magic wanded the holes, converted the outlines to paths and exported in to illustrator. From there I messed around with the holes to create the bottom half of the seat until I had a rough oval shape.
I imported the ai file in to C4D and scaled it approximately to the size of the hypernurbs seat that I had modelled before (without any holes). I extruded the plines and created quad subdividing on the caps then converted to mesh and optimised.
I then copied the mesh from the hypernurbs, flattened it out to approximate the size of the extruded polylines and used this with mesh deformer to form the birds nest part of the chair.....basicly I undid the flattening out that I had done on the last step but this time it carried the extrusion with it.
I had difficulty with the legs and would like to have spent more time doing them. I ended up selecting sections of faces from the appropriate points on the chair seat and splitting them from the main mesh. I extruded then hypernurbed these and adjusted the points to create a circular section which then extruded and tapered down further. I left the top of these meshes without a top face so that it linked in cleanly with the seat.

The position of the legs are wrong, I may re-do them but I've run out of time on really. The way the interact with the seat is also wrong as they finish too abruptly. To make them appear correct using the method I used would involve pain staking moving of individual points which I don't have the time for right now.

Thanks again for all the help.

SF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chair1.jpg (80.8 KB, 34 views)
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4
Cinema 4D R13.058

07 July 2012
Thanks for the update and your methods.

I can appreciate the long hours put into this and it shows.
No, it's not perfect but would tell you from experience
that the second time around goes a lot faster should you
want to do so.

Visiting the link, I could find so-so reference for everything
but the chair bottom. You pretty much got it all.

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

07 July 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread