CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
KellyCosmetic
portfolio

maya to unity uv problems

Hi i'm new to unity but not to maya, i have recently watched and read LOTS of tutorials on importing maya files and what not but they were no help

now what i'm concerned about is lightmapping

i created a simple test scene in maya and uv mapped it saved the .mb file and fbx in the asset folder, i made my light and baked the scene and the lightmaps that were baked out were not uv'd like the ones that i created in maya. i don't know if unity created these uv on it's own or what. and what i need to do is take the lightmaps created in unity and apply them back to my object in maya

i read that unity does not assign textures on it's own but nothing has ever said anything about an objects uv map.
when meshes have been imported into unity does the uv map made in maya automatically assign to it? if not how do i assign it to a certain object? and is it possible to view the current uv map in use?

this is the uv map i made in maya of a simple cube

but when i baked it in unity it came out like this

and i hate that it bakes to .exr becuase photoshop won't let me save it to .jpeg,bmp, or png instead only a tif file that comes out really dark when assigned in maya

every uv map that i made in maya came out completely different in unity

i could really use some help and advice please

Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
jgibz
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Gibbons
USA

In my experience with unity, the uvs are the same when the lightmap is baked, but unity repositions them in the lightmap texture to save room for other lightmapped object to fit on the same texture.

you might try limiting the dimensions of your lightmap to whatever dimensions you're using in maya. Not sure if this will create a usable texture, but it's worth a shot. A quick google search revealed that you can only do this via script. http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentati...AtlasWidth.html

Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread