Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
GoldnOak08

portfolio
Raphael Tobar
Multimedia Designer
Miami, USA

The Essence of Morals

Software: Maya, mentalray, mudbox, photoshop

Hi all, this piece was based off of some metaphysical inspiration regarding the dualism between light and dark(good/evil) using a lotus flower representing consciousness. I recently submitted it to CGTalk, but they told me there are artistic/technical issues. I knew it wasn't perfect and it's my first serious attempt at 3D, so it would be nice to have feedback to give room for improvement. Thanks much.

Last edited by GoldnOak08 : 02-19-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

The biggest issue is 'what is it?'

It isn't technically proficient enough for the audience to be wowed at the skill it took to achieve, so it needs to be able to wow the users in another way-the content.

I see what you are trying to do with the light and dark, but the central 'flower' (??) isn't very clear, and is blown out. The texturing could also show what it is, but currently, its rather basic, and almost 'pixely'.

I think if you re look at the central piece, and create something that actually shows a light and a dark force entwining and flowing into one, you may have something. It could be as complex as 2 human figures, or as simple as 2 trees, one gnarled and twisted, and the other flowing and beautiful.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
GoldnOak08

portfolio
Raphael Tobar
Multimedia Designer
Miami, USA

Thank you for the kind response, Pyke.

Yes I'm not too surprised about your concern about the technical proficiency. And the notion that it's not "clear" enough I'm assuming you're referring to the silhouette of the flower. It was supposed to be a Lotus, with some stylistic additions, such as the play with .png alpha channels as brush strokes on the petals. Likewise, the good/evil:light/dark dualism could've been more clearly expressed, but I thought that would be implied just from the reflection.

The reflection itself would've been distorted because of the waves, so instead I just took a separate render at the angle * -1 of the original angle of the flower and overlaid it over during post.

Along the process there were reservations about adding more figures but was under the spell of first artistic intents. That is, it was a faithful remake of an earlier piece I did in vector about a year ago actually.

And this 3D attempt was meant to be a serious practice run for future artworks.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread