Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Mazeburn
portfolio
Bryony
Gosport, United Kingdom

Correct render resolution for 2.35:1?

Hi guys! Not sure if this is really the right section; feel free to move this thread if not.

Anyway, I'm working on a CG short animation at the moment which I'd really like to render in a super widescreen format such as 2.35:1 for composition reasons. The problem is, I can't work out what actual image size I should be rendering this at. I've heard 2048x1080 suggested, but that gives me a pixel aspect of 1.239.

What I'm not sure of is why you'd use a different pixel aspect than a square... I've tried reading the Wikipedia page on it, but it's not making a whole lot of sense to me. Is it just for different codecs? I'm sure this is really basic stuff, and maybe I'm misinterpreting the whole thing, but it would be awesome if someone could explain it in layman's terms (or if you have some resource that does that), or else just suggest a good resolution to render at for super widescreen.

Thanks a lot!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
What I'm not sure of is why you'd use a different pixel aspect than a square... I've tried reading the Wikipedia page on it, but it's not making a whole lot of sense to me.
Simply put - it saves space.
The film is essentially shot "squeezed", so that the actors appear vertically elongated on the actual film allowing a wider image. A special lens inside the projector unsqueezes the image so that it will appear normal. If that film is scanned for DI you'll need to unsqueeze it digitally hence the non square pixels..

Square pixel 2K Cinemascope would be 2048872
http://blog.surrealroad.com/archive...ta-resolutions/

Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Mazeburn
portfolio
Bryony
Gosport, United Kingdom

Brilliant! Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed, with both the explanation and the resolutions. Awesome!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
theta2
3D Generalist

portfolio
Full Real Name
New York, USA

Just FYI, the D-Cinema spec for SCOPE is 2048x858. So any scope material that is projected at the theatre on a Digital server is being shown at 2048x858, which is about 2.39.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Interesting. Any idea why its different?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
theta2
3D Generalist

portfolio
Full Real Name
New York, USA

I'm not really sure why.

But I see on that list you linked to they have D-Cinema 2k set to 2048x1080. We started incorporating that size into our pipeline recently too, as it covers both FLAT and SCOPE with one set of renders.

Technically flat is projected at 1998x1080 and scope is 2048x858. But if you load the D-Cinema server with a set of renders that are 2048x1080, it just gets automatically cropped to 1998x1080 for flat and 2048x858 for scope.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread