Proper way of previewing your animation.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 05 May 2014   #1
Proper way of previewing your animation.

Hey there, another question from me, which is the most effective way of previewing your animation once complete, I know it would be using make preview but Ive had bad experiences with it in the past as in I activate it and it takes forever to complete, so what should I do, drop my resolution to something like 500 pixels turn off all hypernurbs and make a render to picture viewer of whatever amount of frames my animation has?
why does make preview take such a long time even when you set it to really low settings?

Dave.

Old 05 May 2014   #2
Sounds like you are using the standard renderer for previews? That's bound to be slow. Much better to switch to the Hardware renderer which will give you a preview that looks like the viewport, similar to 'playblasting' in Maya. It won't look pretty like a final render but for checking timing etc it's usually sufficient.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05 May 2014   #3
Ok I saw it, so when I use make preview option I switch from Full Render to Hardware Preview.

Thanks!!

Old 05 May 2014   #4
I still wouldn't use make preview. Make a new render setting much like suggested in the lighting thread. You can set this render setting to hardware but it will render to picture viewer as it goes so you can scrub even before a section is done, it doesn't have to save to disk and you have more control over where it does save and what it is called.

Old 05 May 2014   #5
Thanks Kai!!

Old 05 May 2014   #6
If you have character animation or very much stuff going on the screen then hardware render is best for animation preview.

I mostly use hardware render before rendering full. If you are making more complex animations then it´s useful but if you just make object rotating then you can just render it full.
It always depends the complexity level of your animation project at hand.

reply share thread