Disney buying Lucasfilm/ILM! Star wars EP7 in 2015

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #256
Prepare yourself for lens flares and shaky cameras...lots of it!!

Old 01 January 2013   #257
Ha! A lens flares joke... how original

Old 01 January 2013   #258
Originally Posted by Laserschwert: Ha! A lens flares joke... how original

J.J. has to keep his buddy Andrew Kramer in business, you know.

Old 03 March 2013   #259
Business Week How Disney Bought Lucasfilm—and Its Plans for 'Star Wars' (with Video)

Quote:

"

One weekend last October, Robert Iger, chief executive officer of Walt Disney (DIS), sat through all six Star Wars films. He’d seen them before, of course. This time, he took notes. Disney was in secret negotiations to acquire Lucasfilm, the company founded by Star Wars creator George Lucas, and Iger needed to do some due diligence.

The movies reacquainted Iger with Luke Skywalker, the questing Jedi Knight, and his nemesis Darth Vader, the Sith Lord who turns out to be (three-decade-old spoiler alert) his father. Beyond the movies, Iger needed to know Lucasfilm had a stockpile of similarly rich material—aka intellectual property—for more Star Wars installments. As any serious aficionado knows, there were always supposed to be nine. But how would Disney assess the value of an imaginary galaxy? What, for example, was its population?

As it turned out, Lucas had already done the cataloging. His company maintained a database called the Holocron, named after a crystal cube powered by the Force. The real-world Holocron lists 17,000 characters in the Star Wars universe inhabiting several thousand planets over a span of more than 20,000 years. It was quite a bit for Disney to process. So Lucas also provided the company with a guide, Pablo Hidalgo. A founding member of the Star Wars Fan Boy Association, Hidalgo is now a “brand communication manager” at Lucasfilm. “The Holocron can be a little overwhelming,” says Hidalgo, who obsesses over canonical matters such as the correct spelling of Wookiee and the definitive list of individuals who met with Yoda while he was hiding in the swamps of Dagobah."

http://www.businessweek.com/article...s-for-star-wars

"
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03 March 2013   #260
Some interesting insights from the article:

Originally Posted by Bloomberg Businessweek: Lucas released Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace in 1999. Combined, the three films in the second trilogy would gross $2.5 billion, but many fans thought they were a mess. They were particularly appalled by the bumbling Jar Jar Binks from the planet Naboo, a creature with an inexplicable Jamaican accent who became the butt of jokes on South Park and The Simpsons.

The criticism got to Lucas. He found it difficult to be creative when people were calling him a jerk. “It was fine before the Internet,” he says. “But now with the Internet, it’s gotten very vicious and very personal. You just say, ‘Why do I need to do this?’ 

I always believe that creators and directors share a relationship with people who watch or read their work. Until now I thought George had insulated himself from what fans felt. I see now that it wasn't that way. I can understand why fans low-ball him (and I did too). And it's wrong. But we do it anyway - because we are the customer.

I guess he always thought he had a right to his own stories... and felt (as did Bioware's Ray Muzyka in the furor over Mass Effect 3's ending) the need to ask "Why do I need this?"

This is something that I think I cannot totally relate to (yet?) because the stuff I've done is very small in prominence. However, I think both Muzyka and Lucas missed out on Spielberg's golden rule - That when something gets out there, it doesn't entirely belong to you anymore.

Originally Posted by Bloomberg Businessweek: Disney may have a light touch with the moviemaking at Pixar and Marvel, but it happily uses their characters and worlds to bolster its other businesses.

That's the name of the game now - large scale or small. You have to make a catalogue of stuff and sort of "Chaebol" it into all these other industries as a multiplier. Note the charts from the article:

This also answers the questions of people who wonder "What's the value of these images we are making if they are not essential or physical items?" The answer at Disney is "They become PART of the Physical Items we sell". Basically Disney is the largest merchant of bags, shirts, toys...

Lucasfilm was an easy fit.

Originally Posted by Bloomberg Businessweek: Disney’s array of character-driven franchises, combined with its non-movie profit centers such as ESPN, have made it into something unusual in the blockbuster/flop economy of Hollywood: a diversified company producing reliable growth. In the last three years the company’s revenue and operating income have risen steadily, and the stock has doubled since Iger was named CEO in March 2005.

Amen to that. You can always bet on Disney!

And this is why I think the other majors who fail to secure the means to make the very images they may rely upon to emulate Disney's strategy are setting themselves up for a fall.

WB's Terminator T-Shirts will not sell for example without new and better Terminator images... and guess where they may have to go one day for the best images to get made?

Epic Mickey indeed.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 03 March 2013 at 12:57 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #261
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread