Classroom Lighting - Mental Ray

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Classroom Lighting - Mental Ray

Hi everyone! This is an assignment we were tasked to do - to use Mental Ray to light up a provided classroom model.

I'd like advice on areas of improvement including the lighting, textures and general feel...any further additional input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh, and I used Autodesk Maya 2012 for this.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
There seems to be quite a lot of nasty aliasing. I also think that the monitors and their stands break the realism a bit. Also the chair up close seems to be quite low poly. Otherwise a nice start

Old 09 September 2012   #3
I would recommend use of the portal light node in your light coming from the outside. When you plug a picture (your outside background) in the intensity I think you will project the color of your background inside.. pretty neat and realist.

For you interior have your ref pictures? The floor have to be work because there's no way you will have no shadows under the desks.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
The best part of the picture is the background outside the window...which I presume is a picture.

Why would you need the lights on a a bright day? Eveything seem to be on a shiny, reflective side, from the chairs to the table, but the one thing that need to shine, the monitor screen, is flat. The walls look funny, are they glass or painted, I can't tell. Maybe can explain a bit.

Lighting in CG, is like trail & error (for me at least), you need to fine tune to get it looks right. The low res models in the scene doesn't help things, but I cannot comment much also as I am no expert on lighting.

by the way, I am Singapore polytechnic Alumni.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Originally Posted by RainerS: There seems to be quite a lot of nasty aliasing. I also think that the monitors and their stands break the realism a bit. Also the chair up close seems to be quite low poly. Otherwise a nice start

Yeah, noticed the aliasing did you? Well, I fixed it in the render settings soon enough =)

Originally Posted by Scote: I would recommend use of the portal light node in your light coming from the outside. When you plug a picture (your outside background) in the intensity I think you will project the color of your background inside.. pretty neat and realist.

For you interior have your ref pictures? The floor have to be work because there's no way you will have no shadows under the desks.

Im not too sure about the mia portal light node, care to elaborate?

Originally Posted by PKD: The best part of the picture is the background outside the window...which I presume is a picture.

Why would you need the lights on a a bright day? Eveything seem to be on a shiny, reflective side, from the chairs to the table, but the one thing that need to shine, the monitor screen, is flat. The walls look funny, are they glass or painted, I can't tell. Maybe can explain a bit.

Lighting in CG, is like trail & error (for me at least), you need to fine tune to get it looks right. The low res models in the scene doesn't help things, but I cannot comment much also as I am no expert on lighting.

by the way, I am Singapore polytechnic Alumni.

Ahh, great to see someone from SP here. Good first point you made there, guess the lights weren't really needed. I was playing around with the presets of the mia material for everything, first time using MR after all. Table isn't supposed to be shiny (it isn't in the MADStudios we're using now) btw.

With regards to the monintor screen, I did not apply mia material x to the screen, instead using a blinn material. And I also placed a area light of low intensity in front of the screen to give the impression that the screen projects light out.

Now the thing is that while the image on the screen renders out clearly using Maya Software, using Mental Ray kept getting me the same result as you see in my current picture. (That flat, white screen).

FYI, the render passes I associated with masterlayer are AO, beauty, diffuse, incandescence, reflection, shadow, indirect and specular.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
If you plug an image (your background) in the TINT color you will get a light emitting the tint of your background in the inside. Pretty cool. test it

Old 09 September 2012   #7
I see, thank you very much.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread