Why is it some people are naturally talented at drawing?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #166
Talent: a special often creative or artistic aptitude

Old 08 August 2005   #167
All through my life people have always told me that they envy my ability to draw. I've started to realize now that it's not an actual talent, but that ability comes from myself wanting to succeed. For me, if I decide that I want to learn how to draw something, I take a look at what other artists have done and set myself the goal of reaching that ability.

Okay this sounds really bad, but I think that if I didn't have the urge to be better than others at drawing/painting, then I wouldn't be talented at it at all.

Old 08 August 2005   #168
Originally Posted by Serkeien: this sounds really bad, but I think that if I didn't have the urge to be better than others at drawing/painting, then I wouldn't be talented at it at all.

It doesn't sound bad at all. It sounds like the truth of a strong character.

Old 08 August 2005   #169
Originally Posted by Serkeien: All through my life people have always told me that they envy my ability to draw. I've started to realize now that it's not an actual talent, but that ability comes from myself wanting to succeed. For me, if I decide that I want to learn how to draw something, I take a look at what other artists have done and set myself the goal of reaching that ability.

Okay this sounds really bad, but I think that if I didn't have the urge to be better than others at drawing/painting, then I wouldn't be talented at it at all.

We all have personal goals, and whatever they may be as long as they will realise who cares what the initial intentions were?

Old 08 August 2005   #170
Originally Posted by tjabba: Yes, sure, just like no one is born with natural abilities in music, mathematics, and sports, and no one is born with any disabilities either... we're all born completely equal, little carbon-copies, or at least we have to pretend we are here in this forum, because otherwise some members will feel bad.

Quoted for agreement. Identical twins separated at birth and raised separately tend to have similar professions and interests more often than not ~ even if their parents did different things, they went to different schools, they share nothing but genes ~ if one is into art or music the other is more likely than average also to be.

Some people are afraid that if they admit the obvious truth that some people are born more gifted, more prone to be interested in certain things than others, that this would discourage people from working hard or believing that they could be great.

LT

Old 08 August 2005   #171
Whenever I've seen this topic raised on the internet, it appears as a nature versus nurture argument. From current science theories, it can be seen that genes may have marginal sway over whether a person is more inclined than others to be "gifted" in a certain area, but a greater part of it depends on nurture.

I have seen many gifted people who were creative when they were younger, but stopped painting completely because of life circumstances, or just for lack of nurturing their abilities or receiving encouragement from other artists. I've also seen instances where people from professions opposite art, such as law, have become artist or illustrators. David Cherry comes to mind.

I come from a mother and father who both have artistic abilities and in my own experience, I can say "natural talent" only plays so far. I took a year long hiatus from painting and found myself a little rusty when I started back up. Any skill can stand to be kept relevent and strong through practice.

Old 08 August 2005   #172
Has there ever been a case of someone getting amnesia, and when they come to, they suddenly have an innate ability to draw and paint like an artist? Or an innate talent at something, not necessarily artist-based? And if drawing is something innate to someone, can they lose it to amnesia? (I'm obviously guessing yes)

I'd really like to know...

Last edited by Sil 369 : 08 August 2005 at 08:27 AM.

Old 08 August 2005   #173
"it's in your genes"

Old 08 August 2005   #174
Is collecting anime a genetic thing?

Old 08 August 2005   #175
Originally Posted by Shonner: Is collecting anime a genetic thing?

i think that's a blessing.

Old 08 August 2005   #176
I also have the belief that creative abilities through the arts have to do with genetic influences. Myself, my skills have been given a boost from both sides of my immediate family. There are several cousins on my fathers side who have excelled in the arts and have gone on to have great careers in the advertising and traditional painting, sculpting, etc. On my mothers side, she had an uncle who was a well known landscape painter in. My twin sister also shows sparks of natural ability, but chooses not to imbrace it. My point is that even if the creative talent bounces around, I am convinced that genetics have a huge part in the process. Hard work and the passion to make it real is important, but not the point.

Old 08 August 2005   #177
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread