Custom Render Node? (AMD Raven Ridge)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

5 Days Ago
Custom Render Node? (AMD Raven Ridge)

This post is a thought experiment...stream of consciousness...

Some of you use CPU renderers like Arnold...or the native renderer. I'm mostly an Octane guy, but....

I really love Sketch and Toon. The thing is... it has big limitations.
1. No way to render with GPU
2. It only leverages single threaded CPU

The only real way to speed things up for S&T is via a render farm...or one's own render farm.

So out of curiosity I was peeking at AMD's new CPU w/integrated GPU...particularly the $99RYZEN 3 2200G. I just wanted to work the math out and see what it would cost to build a little render box.

The Raven Ridge2200Gis a 4-core/4 thread CPU running at 3.5 GHZ, more-than-adequate integrated GPU right on the chip. Only $99.

$99 for CPU/GPU
$92 for 8 GB of RAM, which I suspect would be enough for a render node
$60 case
$49 motherboard (ASRock A320M-DGS AM4 AMD Promontory)
$35 PSU
$30 cooling and misc.
$0 for hard drive (most us have small drives in our existing inventory)
$0 monitor .... use it headless or with switcher
$0 for windows (I have an unopened Windows 8 license I could use...maybe you have the same?)

Total: $365

As attractive as this is...I doubt I'll invest. I have other financial priorities and I hold hope that Maxon will update S&T to multi-threaded status. But for some of you CPU render folks...it may be worth consideration for a cheap render node.

For Arnold/c4d native rendering the Quad-Core/Eight-Thread2400G paired with ASRock AB350M Pro4 MB...for an additional $100 would make a lot of sense. That would bump total cost to $465.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 5 Days Ago at 02:39 AM.

5 Days Ago
Keep in mind - for every Arnold node, you need to pay $600/year, which is pretty steep. Currently they're running a special for 5 nodes @ $1500/year total. But Autodesk will undoubtedly push those figures highersoon enough

You also may need Windows 10 Pro to use Windows Remote Desktop for headless operation; not sure if Windows 8 vanilla has it by default. And especially with all crazy spyware and exploits out there, the latest version of an OS is even more essential for me these days.

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Keep in mind - for every Arnold node, you need to pay $600/year, which is pretty steep. Currently they're running a special for 5 nodes @ $1500/year total. But Autodesk will undoubtedly push those figures highersoon enough

You also may need Windows 10 Pro to use Windows Remote Desktop for headless operation; not sure if Windows 8 vanilla has it by default. And especially with all crazy spyware and exploits out there, the latest version of an OS is even more essential for me these days.
Yeah. For Arnold it probably makes more sense to have fewer (or just 1) juiced up system with Threadripper or something.

Another thing I'm investigating -- for S&T-- that might be cheap or even free-- is to run multiple versions of virtualized Windows...each using 2 threads. I'd run a copy of Render Client on each VM.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 5 Days Ago at 10:43 AM.

5 Days Ago
cinema is not anymore as forgiving with low ram as it used to be. I would consider 16GB as the minimum. In order to not have to think about it most of the times.

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Jops: cinema is not anymore as forgiving with low ram as it used to be. I would consider 16GB as the minimum. In order to not have to think about it most of the times.

I've used systems w/just 8GB as render nodes on a number of occasions and never had an issue. I'm sure there are scenes out there the could be too big. For a render node I'd start w/8GB. One can always upgrade RAM. I'm just talking TeamRender client, not full c4d.

reply share thread