Which New iMac Pro Do I Get?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

2 Weeks Ago
Ok so this thread went now very much off topic. Maybe it can be a bit more about the original question.

Are there already iMac Pro buyers with some C4D experiences to share?

I want to wait for the modular Mac Pro, but I think a need e new mac sooner, so I'm considering a 5K iMac i7 maxed out with eGPU or a new iMac Pro and buy an eGPU later if necessary.
On AppeInsider there's already a interesting comparison between the two. I'm not sure if the thermal throttling is a real problem, at least if will avoid the noisy fan blowing that is happening in the regular iMac 5k.
Maybe it's wise to wait at least for High Sierra update to see extended eGPU support?

odo

2 Weeks Ago
Yeah, I too would be interested in real world render performance. The various benchmarks suggest the 10-core iMac would be nearly twice as fast as a my 12-core 2.93Ghz Mac Pro. But I'd love to see actual figures for a standard C4D scene so I can compare like for like. Would anyone with an iMac Pro render a benchmark scene? Also, what's the single Radeon GPU like with ProRender?

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ooo: Ok so this thread went now very much off topic. Maybe it can be a bit more about the original question.

Are there already iMac Pro buyers with some C4D experiences to share?

I want to wait for the modular Mac Pro, but I think a need e new mac sooner, so I'm considering a 5K iMac i7 maxed out with eGPU or a new iMac Pro and buy an eGPU later if necessary.
On AppeInsider there's already a interesting comparison between the two. I'm not sure if the thermal throttling is a real problem, at least if will avoid the noisy fan blowing that is happening in the regular iMac 5k.
Maybe it's wise to wait at least for High Sierra update to see extended eGPU support?

odo

I have a maxed out 5k iMac (not the pro). The thing is lightning fast for most of my work. I went with a 1TB SSD and got a refurbished machine, which basically paid for the the cost for my extra ram and apple care. Bonus is that Apple's refurbed machines cost $400 less and come with twice the ram (2x8GB instead of 2x4GB), but carry the same warranty. The single core speed is so fast you basically have to get that crazy 10 core iMac Pro to compete with the performance on single threaded tasks like After Effects. Occasionally my After Effects projects get so involved that having the option to bump up to 5k is enormously helpful. I have found that the Mac handles high DPI apps better across the board than Windows. it is much more consistent, but the downsides are the classic Mac downsides like Open GL not being as current so things like Tachyon Render are not coming to Mac and Quixel suite is still being developed with no real indication of release date. Occasionally apps like Marmoset Toolbag take advantage of Apple's Metal API, but that may not be possible for all developers.

I don't render much in Cinema. If I do, I'll be using my old PC as a slave. If I need to add more CPU rendering power, I can build a Ryzen system with a barebones video card for about the cost of a 1080ti GPU and eGPU enclosure and keep that machine in the other room for quietness.

The fan can get audible, but not terribly so. It's pretty darn quiet for what it is. It ramps up quickly in Cinebench, though. It isn't as loud as my old Mac tower and it's not as loud as my old overclocked PC. It certainly doesn't turn the room into a sauna like my overclocked Sandy Bridge. But it is an audible, fairly high pitched white noise when maxing out all cores. When taxing one core, I have not heard the fan. I would suggest taxing this beast in an Apple store if possible or visiting a friend to test.

I, too, am holding out for official eGPU support to come from Apple. People on these forums have had luck getting stuff up and running, but I hope it gets simpler.

I'll be getting the 3d fluff training on optimizing C4d physical and standard renderers in the mean time: https://www.3dfluff.com/video/r16speed/ One thing I know is that standard, physical, and S&T will get the job done.

I'm most interested in Cycles 4d for the X-particles integration, but I wonder if AMD support is coming to that renderer. When I asked Insydium about AMD GPU support, they told me to try the demo, but I haven't found the time.

Last edited by BubblegumDimension : 2 Weeks Ago at 07:35 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
For those of you interested, Barefeats is starting to compile benchmarks. So far, they're only using the lowest-end iMac Pro, but even so, it's basically trouncing every single previous high-end Mac - including the 5K iMac. One can only imagine what the full-daddy 18-core will do when it's out.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by sneather: For those of you interested, Barefeats is starting to compile benchmarks. So far, they're only using the lowest-end iMac Pro, but even so, it's basically trouncing every single previous high-end Mac - including the 5K iMac. One can only imagine what the full-daddy 18-core will do when it's out.

Starting at 8 cores and $5000 before tax, it better trounce the 4 core 5k iMac!

I really want the black keyboard and mouse.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: Starting at 8 cores and $5000 before tax, it better trounce the 4 core 5k iMac!

I really want the black keyboard and mouse.
Well, considering that the "new" trashcan, for all intents, was never any faster than the old silver tower (not that it stopped me from buying one...) - it was hardly a given that these new iMac Pro models were going to deliver.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: I have a maxed out 5k iMac (not the pro). The thing is lightning fast for most of my work. I went with a 1TB SSD and got a refurbished machine, which basically paid for the the cost for my extra ram and apple care. Bonus is that Apple's refurbed machines cost $400 less and come with twice the ram (2x8GB instead of 2x4GB), but carry the same warranty. The single core speed is so fast you basically have to get that crazy 10 core iMac Pro to compete with the performance on single threaded tasks like After Effects. Occasionally my After Effects projects get so involved that having the option to bump up to 5k is enormously helpful. I have found that the Mac handles high DPI apps better across the board than Windows. it is much more consistent, but the downsides are the classic Mac downsides like Open GL not being as current so things like Tachyon Render are not coming to Mac and Quixel suite is still being developed with no real indication of release date. Occasionally apps like Marmoset Toolbag take advantage of Apple's Metal API, but that may not be possible for all developers.

I don't render much in Cinema. If I do, I'll be using my old PC as a slave. If I need to add more CPU rendering power, I can build a Ryzen system with a barebones video card for about the cost of a 1080ti GPU and eGPU enclosure and keep that machine in the other room for quietness.

The fan can get audible, but not terribly so. It's pretty darn quiet for what it is. It ramps up quickly in Cinebench, though. It isn't as loud as my old Mac tower and it's not as loud as my old overclocked PC. It certainly doesn't turn the room into a sauna like my overclocked Sandy Bridge. But it is an audible, fairly high pitched white noise when maxing out all cores. When taxing one core, I have not heard the fan. I would suggest taxing this beast in an Apple store if possible or visiting a friend to test.

I, too, am holding out for official eGPU support to come from Apple. People on these forums have had luck getting stuff up and running, but I hope it gets simpler.

I'll be getting the 3d fluff training on optimizing C4d physical and standard renderers in the mean time: https://www.3dfluff.com/video/r16speed/ One thing I know is that standard, physical, and S&T will get the job done.

I'm most interested in Cycles 4d for the X-particles integration, but I wonder if AMD support is coming to that renderer. When I asked Insydium about AMD GPU support, they told me to try the demo, but I haven't found the time.

Thanks for posting your experiences! Most helpfull indeed. I'll see what Barefeats published on the benchmarks. I do a lot of different stuff. So Adobe CC, FCPX, C4D and also wanting to get more into VR/AR stuff...

odo

reply share thread