Can the mogragh displacer use camera projection on a shader?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Can the mogragh displacer use camera projection on a shader?

Hi all.

I'm recording video with my Sony a6300 and am trying to add special effects to the video.

The video shows a cement road with pebbles scattered throughout. I'd like each of the pebbles to be a particle emitter.

I began by first making a mask in After Effects. It's the same as the regular video, except the pebbles are white and everything else is black.

I've tried multiple implementations but am coming up short, which leads me to my current implementation.

The idea is to create actual displacement on the geometry where the pebbles are. I then use x-particles object emitter using "polygon area". Finally, I add a kill mod on everything underneath of the displacement.

The hitch in the above implementation is that mograph displacer is projecting the displacement in a way that doesn't align with the video. Camera projection mapping obviously makes it align correctly when rendering, but I can't find an option to do camera projection with the mograph displacer.

Is this the correct approach? Does zBrush have an option to do camera mapped geometry displacement, meaning I need another tool in my workflow? Is there a different approach?

Cheers

02 February 2018
AFTER TWO DAYS OF TOILING AWAY I HAVE VANQUISHED THIS CHALLENGE.

So, my original implementation was to use x-particle's texture emission and load the mask. However, I was displaying the mask with "camera projection", and x-particles can not use camera projected textures.

Well guess what friends, I just discovered that I can turn a camera projected texture in to UVW by doing the following:

- create object that I assign the texture to
- assign the texture, set projection to camera projection
- make the object editable (shortcut: c)
- right click the texture and click "Generate UVW coordinates"

NOW IT WORKS. HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

02 February 2018
Thanks for the feedback hvent90.

reply share thread