EITG Modeler/Product?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by A.C. Farley: I've always wondered why people stuck with it when it was obvious pretty quickly that it didn't have a future.

Well, it does a few certain things stupendously well. As long as it keeps working on our computers…

(You could compare that to Macromedia Freehand's case: the app is dead and buried, but still it is very alive in certain markets despite Illustrator's advancements)

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by juanxer: Well, it does a few certain things stupendously well. As long as it keeps working on our computers…

(You could compare that to Macromedia Freehand's case: the app is dead and buried, but still it is very alive in certain markets despite Illustrator's advancements)

Actually Adobe Freehand MX is still alive and well. I used to be a big fan (until forced to use Illustrator at companies). Freehand had ways of doing things that were better than Illustrator and even features that beat Illustrator hands down. Marketing and advertising is key when matched against competitors. EITG take notice (what ARE they going to produce? Is the EITG team just going to retire?) I think EIAS3D is doing a good job with their recent newsletter and plug-in improvements. Keep up the good work guys.

"Impressive. Most impressive." -- Darth Vader

www.thomascreativestudio.com

04 April 2010
EITG started to make Maya plugs. I remember one to do with sound. Not sure if that ever released.
Silo

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by redcode: I think EIAS3D is doing a good job with their recent newsletter and plug-in improvements. Keep up the good work guys.

Yes i applause such a collaboration, but still isnt enough, instead of having their own gallery we should be contributing here in the forums.
Some recent work where i have used EIAS.
http://vimeo.com/11287471

It has being long time since anybody has posted something here, i have seen some amazing stuff from Juanxer. Please share it.
Thanks,
Edgard

04 April 2010
Well I'm still an EIM user learning Modo for backup. Thanks to Stefan (Futagoza) he provided me a link in these forums to add shortcuts to my EIM and helped speed up my modeling, just when I thought the program was just short of shortcuts or lacked capabilities. I'm still using EIM since it is the best candidate to get my models into EI. Now that I am on v8, I have to admit that importing from other apps 3dMax in particular has opened a new appreciation for downloading and purchasing 3dMax scenes that I can import.

EITG and EIAS3D have different goals. EITG has become silent while EIAS3D has become very vocal. I'd admit that the dispute of ASCIS technology was a weird hiccup during the "Play" days after it became EITG after, so I don't hold it against them. The QT framework they are using again changed from private to public quite some time ago. By now they should be under full development or not.

My last search yielded that Kishore (although may be another Kishore or since he is a consultant he may wear multiple hats.) http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/atten...ograms/full.pdf late last year. Most of his news with EI end in 2007. I stopped tracking the progress. If EITG has something for us my guess IMHO is that the product will jump in the middle of z-brush / amorphium - EIM / silo / modo grade toolset. If this is not the case then at least I have Modo to continue my learning curve.

These are just tools. EIM just needed some tweaks and some optimization for today's Powerful CPUS / CUDA and 64 bit systems. I'm not asking for a product now. HOWEVER knowing if any modeler would be canned would make it an easier step to just move on to new tools.

As far as Ian the last update was on 1/29/10 in EITG re: modeler status last word is that "it's still in active development" so considering that was about 3 months ago and about 2+ years since we brainstormed Tesla name in these forums then my hope is that:

a) they fixed the bugs, updated the UI, updated codebase for all OS's that it'll run on. (done)
b) They may be beta testing an enhanced modeler to compete with other apps. (in progress)
c) They have a some sort of good integration into the possible EIv9 with EIAS3D. Although they mentioned that the new modeler may eventually grow into an animation platform. (Wishful thinking)
D) They took care of modeler, they realized that it would not compete as stand alone unless they added animation, CA tools, particles, dynamics, MDD and rendering capabilities (tall order i know) As they stated selling EIAS IP "This transfer will allow accelerated development and new technologies of the software to evolve, without limiting them to EITG’s budget as it continues development of Modeler." (Wishful thinking)

Last edited by Gigayoda : 04 April 2010 at 09:24 PM.

04 April 2010
'I'm not asking for a product now. HOWEVER knowing if any modeler would be canned would make it an easier step to just move on to new tools'.

I agree with your post - particularly with this bit.
If it is not going to fly then tell tell all the poop schmucks like me who still use and love using EIM and continue to wait (and wait.....) for an update.
While Ian's post was encouraging, in a way, it does nothing to indicate when the app may arrive. It's already well over two years. Will I still be asking the same question in a years time? two years?
The fact that Brad hasn't posted anything means to me that he's between a rock and a hard place. Still developing, but probably very slowly because of limited resources, and possibly the major programmer either committed elsewhere or suffering from illness or other personal problems. So, he can't give a timeline.
Just guessing, who knows? But then that's the point isn't it - everyone is just floating in limboland, guessing!
Michael.

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by Ideas: Still developing, but probably very slowly because of limited resources, and possibly the major programmer either committed elsewhere or suffering from illness or other personal problems. So, he can't give a timeline.

After selling intellectual property from what I've seen going on lately in tech industry I'm sure it wasn't less than 1 million. I'm sure reason why we didn't hear from them while they negotiated was that they had to ensure funding, payment and distribution. Legalities across 3 countries and then closing of the deals ensuring all parties are happy and in agreement in moving forward afterward.

With whatever earnings EITG made from the sell off. They may have purchased a brand new team. The developers that worked in EIM are in other companies.

Kishore - EITG
Himashu - Autodesk (based on search)
Bob Bell - Renault team 3d simulations (based on search)
Norm Evangelista - MiTAC software engineer (linkedin & search)

So that core EIM team is gone with the exception of Kishore.

New blood may be working on new tech with new resources. Under the hypothetical going rate of 60 to 90k a developer a year and still selling EIAS v8 a 1 million or 2 million investment on R&D, development, QA and beta testing sounds feasible. I've been in environments where we dump 65k a month in errors, no results and then as refinements go under way you have a product.

I trust that we may need 1 more year before a true announcement in the open. That way there are no true disappointments in false hopes. Ian is my best gage and his 1 liner is enough information for me to sit back. I just truly hope this app is great. I've waited 7+ years to upgrade EIAS I can wait another 3 if I had to for a good modeler. In the mean time there are some great alternatives.

04 April 2010
You think EITG could get 1 million for EIAS? Wow. I really wouldn't have thought that. Wouldn't think the user base would be big enough.

Btw, do you live in Alpharetta GA?
Silo

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by DickM: You think EITG could get 1 million for EIAS? Wow. I really wouldn't have thought that. Wouldn't think the user base would be big enough.

Btw, do you live in Alpharetta GA?

Yes in Alpharetta. In fuzzy math a while back considering EI is used in Brazil, Spain, Japan and US from my random searches. I try to keep the pulse on the market. Also on issues other 3d apps have and cross compatibility. 1 million would be considering there are 1,000 active users that have updated at the $450 upgrade price. This does not include if they have multiple licenses or are 1 in a team of 3 or 4.

I see the value based on a software sale not to mention konkeptonite upgrades that would be sold as well. So a 1 mil is a conservative number and 1/2 of that may had been negotiated as an ongoing relationship. Just seeing it from a business approach nothing more nothing less.

04 April 2010
OT: Very cool, I live 30 mins south of you...Stone Mountain! Small world!
Silo

04 April 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread