"Polychop" substitute

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2004
"Polychop" substitute

Hi guys, a friend of mine was wondering if there is a similar plugin to "Polychop," that basically lowers the polycount of objects? We're looking for something similar that works on 3D Max6 (Polychop was only updated for Max4). Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

04 April 2004
someone told me about polygon cruncher... heard it is good.. never used it though.. hope this helps...

04 April 2004
What`s wrong with the multires-modifier?

04 April 2004
Multires-modifier seems to work great - thanks guys

04 April 2004
Personally, I link the polygon reduction tools in Rhino 2.0. It's kind of ironic that I use Rhino for my polygon reduction when it's designed to be a 99% pure NURBS package.

04 April 2004
Can you talk a bit about why you like it? What differentiates it, say, from MultiRes?

04 April 2004
It's actually very simple. All you do is select your mesh and use the "Reduce Mesh" command by typing ReduceMesh in the command line. A little window will pop up and it will ask you what your target poly count is.

There is nothing advanced about it. I just like the results I get from the optimization algorithms used.

04 April 2004
I guess I was wondering about things like this... Do you get long thin faces much? Is it "smart" about keeping decent edge-loop topology? Does it preserve UVs well, and UV/material boundries well?

04 April 2004
yeah, I was kind of wondering how both methods affect the UV's? We have some objects here that are already UV'd and textured and noticed that Multires seems to mess up the UV layout - is there a way to correct this other than manually correcting the UVs?

04 April 2004
I can't imagine any poly reduction system that won't screw up UVs. It moves all of the verticies and changes the whole structure.

04 April 2004
may i suggest polygon cruncher once again?

04 April 2004
I didn't like poly cruncher.

04 April 2004
i haven't tried it personally so i can't tell... only heard some good things about it...

feature list seems quite good... so.. why you didn't like it? it doesn't work as it should... or....?

04 April 2004
I just didn't like the result.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread