Master and Servant 2D Entry: Clint Thorne

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
Master and Servant 2D Entry: Clint Thorne

Clint Thorne has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: concept two final image

Well, here it is, final image! Like so many others, I wasnít sure Iíd get here.
Thank you, everyone, for all your support and encouragement.

I donít think too much of an explanation or description of whatís going on is appropriate. If Iíve done the image correctly, the story should be in the picture. But I thought, since everyone else has been doing it, Iíd make a couple of comments:
The relationship between master and servant is not always a negative one. There is great honor in many types of service, and an individual can become part of something larger than themselves by surrendering their lives to the needs of something greater. Often they find personal rewards they had never conceived of, through service, and the benefits to them seem to outweigh their efforts to serve.
I tried to convey that sort of heart felt participation and emotional commitment between my Deep-Dweller and her Leviathan. They are each otherís only companions, life long partners. Their contact with the surface world is infrequent and brief, only when she requires maintenance or repair on the technology that sustains her body against the harshness of open water.
*chuckle* Thatís already more than I intended to say, so Iíll wrap it up. This has been a great deal of fun. Good luck everybody!

Last edited by SavageCreature : 04 April 2005 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling error

04 April 2005
Concept Sketch: Scribble studies

I always begin with some scribble sketches to loosen up and see if I can find some interesting shapes and distinctive silhouettes. They usually spark more ideas and allow me to consider options that might improve on my original idea (which is still in my head). There are couple of these that are interesting, some of them are too obvious, some of them weren't any good to start with, but they got me started.

Last edited by SavageCreature : 04 April 2005 at 10:22 PM.

04 April 2005
Concept Sketch: concept one

my original idea was to portray a relationship between a leviathan and an aquatic woman. I thought it would be best to portray this relationship from the point of the creature by giving it's eye as much emotion and intelligence as I could manage. To that end, this was my first concept sketch.

04 April 2005
Concept Sketch: Concept One (continued)

As the image progressed I discovered some problems with the woman's anatomy. Primarily her fingers are too short and she's got a horribly disfigured growth where her head should be. I decided to address the head issue first.

Last edited by SavageCreature : 04 April 2005 at 08:21 PM. Reason: grammatical error

04 April 2005
Talking

it looks nice, i like your penciled shadows. it ll look great!

04 April 2005
Concept Sketch: concept one (continued)

In an attempt to discover the best solution to my problems with her head, I did a number of overlays trying out different heads, head positions and hair styles.

04 April 2005
It's looking great dude! Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see this thing colored.

George

04 April 2005
Talking

Thank you for the words of encouragement, both of you Hopefully as I post more images people will have more to say.

04 April 2005
Concept Sketch: Concept One (finished)

I fixed her head, lengthened her fingers (though I'm still not happy with them) and touched up some other odds and ends. In the original sketch she had bangs, which I thought gave her a harsher, harder feel, but when I was testing various head designs I decided that I liked it better with messier, more natural hair. It integrates her better with the creature, as if they're both occupants of the same environ. I think I'll call this one done for now so I can explore some other aspects of the design.

04 April 2005
Talking

i liked her more with her eyes shut.. it looked like she has apsolute power, and she seemed like she is really thinking about something.. keeping all her feelings inside, ready to burst..

04 April 2005
Yeah, I sorta like her eyes shut, too, so thanks for saying so, calisto. Makes me feel a little less crazy. I showed the various "test heads" to friends and family, though, and they all liked her better looking toward the viewer, so I thought I'd give it a try. Ironically, when I posted this image it landed right next to another image with tenticles which I hadn't seen before, so I might drop the idea altogether and persue something else. I'm not entirely sure, at this point. My original idea didn't have tenticles, I just thought it would be interesting to explore what they did for the image and the relationship between the two characters, so it won't hurt my feelings too badly to do something else with it.

04 April 2005
Talking

nice going! cant wait to see coloured!

04 April 2005
nice one! you have some nice pencil skills. can't wait to see this in colors. and i looked on those various face shots of the girl and i liked the middle one the most. but it's your choice. and the new one looks good too.

good luck!

04 April 2005
Talking

oy i suggest u put a signature of ur thread. this way i gotta search u through ur profile!

04 April 2005
Fantastic sketches so far! Have you thought of doing a less human eye for the octopus thing? I love the texture you have going on him. Keep it up .

Thread Closed share thread