Old man portrait, Frederic Scarramazza (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Old man portrait, Frederic Scarramazza (3D)

Title: Old man portrait
Name: Frederic Scarramazza
Software: 3ds max, Mudbox, Photoshop

Hi.
Here's an attempt at creating a realistic digital portrait of an old man.
The whole project gave me quite a learning cruve in areas such as modelling, texturing (100% hand made diffuse map, no photos used), and hair creation and rendering.
Hope you like it !

10 October 2012
He is quite realistic but eyes. Something wrong with upper eyelids!
I love sweater!
And ears too smooth.

10 October 2012
Nothing wrong with the eyelids, they do tend to droop as you get older.

Nice work, has a look of Ian McKellen about him.

10 October 2012
It is very interesting, as whenever someone say they wanted to make a realistic character, most likely, they will attempt....*wait for it*, an old person.

Anyway, I think the model looks really good.

The ears have been mention, but the ears seems a common area that doesn't get enough love from many CG artist. At least half of the time, at the WIP area, when people ask how to improve their model, the ears will be mention.

I think the skin looks a little translucent. Older person tends to hae dryer skin, & more unevenness, & the translucent effect is less ( I believe) on the skin.

There are rather big gap between the upper eyeslips & eyeballs, you may want to take note of that in future models.

10 October 2012
Hi and thank you for the replies !
@ Yuriki and PKD : about the eyelids, here's one the refs I used. We can see the upper eyelid falling right in front of the eyelashes, creating a little gap, and may explain the wrong impression you get, Yuriki.
Old man reference

@Numptus : thank you. Ian MacKellen ? You're not the first to tell me that, though it didn't came to my mind at all, and it was not my intention.

@PKD : haha ! I have to agree with you on this one. I think that making old persons portraits is a good way to start making realistic characters, because, let's face it, it might be just a little bit easier (or at least it gives you more freedom in detailing) than making a perfect looking pretty girl, with no wrinkles or very slight skin variations.
And it's a lot of fun too, because of the things I just mentionned (more wrinkles to sculpt, more skin variations in the diffuse channel texture to paint, etc...)
But it's not my first attempt at making a realistic character, I made a few girls before (I suggest you check my gallery ), though I never made any close up of their face, but it might come in a near future !

10 October 2012
I think this is amazing work, well done. The hand made texture maps are outstanding. It's so good I actually feel guilty for agreeing about the ears!

May I ask how long it took you from start to finish?

10 October 2012
great stuff! i agree with PKD comments about skin and ears, but my view is drawn to the eyes and front of the face so i didn't even see the ears at first

10 October 2012
Dude I think you nailed it. People search for anything but what it boils down is a very fine portrait. About the eyelids-- I believe people see it as irregular because older people often have specticles that draw attention away from that deep shadow.

10 October 2012
Thanks for the feedback.
Apparently, ears don't take the votes. Though we can't find two people with the same ears, may be I could have give more attention to their creation, I'll keep that in mind for further models !

@Insomania : it would be very difficult to tell you how much time I spent on this one... I do it only in my spare time and I don't take counts. I've started the base mesh in the beginning of this year. Then I had to work on some other stuff, and I decided only recently to reuse this model to test the new sss2 from mental ray. Then I pushed everything a step further, modelling, texturing, lighting, hair creation, etc...
I think the real question would now be : "how long would it take me to make a picture like this now that I've learn quite a bunch of things in different areas ?"
I would certainly need around 30 hours I guess, but I would definitely need to arrange those hours on more than a week, because it's important to me to let things get in place, work a bit, do something else, then come back to the model and rearrange things, those details take time you know !

10 October 2012
Only a last point. I though at first my view about the eyelips is wrong, but its not true.

Look careful at your image. The left eye. You can see a clear gap between the eyelip & eyes, as evident by the shadow. It is true that the eyelips will drop as one age, but the inner side of the inner eyelip must touch the eye, this is logical, as the eyelip wrap around our eyes. which is not the case here.

But I also see that you have this problem because there are no inner eyelips, The eyelip does not fold, & are scupted out of mudbox.

I have mention to others as well, to make convincing eyes (& for eyes animation), you have to make the folding of the upper eyelips in the mesh. You can then sculpt to add details. I said the same about pockets, & clothes seams etc. Its almost always better to make them in base mesh then sculpt, then created from high res sculpt. If you try sculpt in key elements, normally you will required very high density mesh, & not as good result, unless you are very pro.

I am not trying here to be over critical, let this be clear, the model is of a very high level, but its the little things that you do (or not do) that separate a good work from just good, to great or excellence.

Cheers.

10 October 2012
Hi and thanks for your time PKD.
The weird thing is that I did the mesh exactly the way you describe... Here, I show some wires of the basemesh so you can see that the fold of the upper eyelid is modeled in the mesh and not just sculpted (OK, right before you say anything, I know I could have use a bit of retopology here and there in case some would want to animate the character or whatever, but as long as the final result worked fine for a still image, as it was my only goal, it was OK for me...)

But since you get this weird impression that something is wrong with the model's eyes, I guess there might definitely be a problem with lighting, rendering or something else.
It is very tricky to get something realistic, because at some point, the tiniest detail can take the whole thing down... I'll be more careful next time

10 October 2012
Ok, my bad, but it did appear so from only the render. at least to me.

I have to say the base model is actually very good!

From the wire, it appears the inner eyelips maybe too sharp (as oppose to more rounded), particularly on the left eye, which could be seen from the very dark shadow in the 2nd picture. This could be the reason for the wierd shadow in the outer edge of the left eye.

nevertheless, I look forward to more work from you.

By the way, i looked through your portfolio, & you have some very sexy women.

I like the cartoony girl with the octopus best though.

Cheers.

Last edited by PKD : 10 October 2012 at 03:33 PM.

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread