Espire 1 - VR Stealth Game - Development Diary

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2017
Espire 1 - VR Stealth Game - Development Diary

I have spent just under 2 months working on a VR Stealth Experience - Espire 1: VR Operative.

With Espire 1 i'm hoping to create the definitive Stealth Experience in Virtual Reality. I have put together a website which details the project and created a first prototype video below to reveal the project.

I want to use CGTalk to keep a thread about the progress on this game, and thought the CGTalk VR forum would be the best place.

I hope to form a discussion about this project on this thread and seek feedback, comments, connections and suggestions! I'm producing VR Diary videos to document my progress on the game and each time I have a new VR Video or update, I will post in this thread.

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

02 February 2017
i have had my prototype trailer online for about a week and a half now. I have started working on releasing a playable demo, while having early discussions with potential partners and investors!

In the meantime the trailer has been covered on Upload VR:
Espire 1 May Be The VR Stealth Game Metal Gear Fans Are Waiting For

There are a few threads on Reddit.

The trailer has also been translated into Russian by Ilya at Тёрки и Телеги

I will be detailing some of the mechanics that will be featured in the demo over the next few weeks.

05 May 2017
Espire 1: VR Operative Development Diary #1

I've released a development update. I'm working on this project full-time. I've had the chance to work with some great people on the project over the past few weeks and I look forward to sharing more updates soon!

06 June 2017
Espire 1: VR Operative Development Diary #2

I am very keen to share a new update for Espire 1: VR Operative, this time revealing the game's "Control Theatre" VR locomotion system and it's overall concept both of which are explicitly linked!

I've uploaded a video overview here:

Concept:
Espire 1: VR Operative drafts players as drone operators of the future. Players become "Espire Agents" and use "cutting edge Virtual Reality hardware" to remote-operate the Espire model 1 from the safety of their control theatre. The player will be standing within the Espire control theatre from the moment they launch the Espire 1 executable from their steam game library until the moment they quit.

Locomotion System
This control theatre is the game's key locomotion 'comfort' device. Any time the player performs any sort of artificial locomotion, Espire’s world shrinks down to the size of a floating ipad, with the control theatre visible in the player’s peripheral vision.
With this "VR within VR" concept, we can:
  • allow precise freedom of movement
  • minimize VR sickness
  • maintain immersion.

This concept allows us to deliver an optimized standing, 180 degrees, or 360 degree roomscale experience with the level of comfort that suits the individual player.

I'm very interested in hearing any feedback on the concept and locomotion system based of the video and the impending prototype demo release.

There is still a lot of work to do for it to effectively minimize VR sickness but after months of development the locomotion system & game concept are ready to be revealed. The prototype still needs some work, but all the 'boring' mechanics have been implemented, and I am finishing up a few challenges to demonstrate them. Thanks for checking out Espire 1.

08 August 2017
Here's our latest Espire 1 Development diary, showing some gameplay footage from one of the prototype's 6 bite-sized "Virtual Challenges".

We pitch Espire 1 as "Metal Gear Solid meets Goldeneye 007 in an immersive VR world". We believe our "Control Theatre" VR Locomotion system will allow players freedom of movement while minimizing VR sickness and maintaining immersion. We're currently pitching this project and seeking funding to accelerate development. Thanks for checking out the project.

09 September 2017
YouTubers NEOPIXEL TOKYO have done a great let's play video for Espire 1, showing off some of the mechanics, items, soldiers and scenarios through gameplay from the prototype. We were especially excited to see the PDA's detachable camera lined up with the weapon's iron sights - a feature we hadn't thought of developing yet, but will definitely implement now!

Here's their video (YouTube.com):

reply share thread