Need suggestions for a wacom tablet!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2009
Need suggestions for a wacom tablet!

Hi again everyone,

I am currently looking for a graphic tablet that would best suit my needs but I really have no idea what I should buy. This would be my first one, and i am an utter beginner in digital painting and I am about to start drawing classes. I am not sure how much they retail for, but lets say my budget is somewhere around 400$ to 500$, can go higher but as a beginner I doubt I am going to need the most expansive stuff right away.

Any comments on the subjet or links to other threads discussing tablets is always welcome!

08 August 2009
I would definatly suggest the wacom intuos4 L, it is a professional piece (you can get the XL but not much difference at this point for you).
Sure it costs a lot, but it is an investement. I personally started out with the bamboo fun L, this has only 512 PPL(pen pressure levels) and I found myself really finding it troubling I couldn't get the fine detail I could when handling a traditional pencil.
So I made a though choice and invested all my saving money and bought the in4 XL.
It feels so natural that ech time I use my old bamboo (which is a lot easier to cary) it feels I've broken my wrist or something but it isn't as good feeling to draw.

That was my opinion on the wacom part, my opinion on the drawing part is: don't buy a wacom for the next few months. Buy a sketchbook or two instead. Go to the drawng classes and draw, draw, draw... When you've finished drawing the whole two (or more) sketchbooks then you can think of buying the wacom.
But until then, don't try to draw digitally because basics are a must.
Learn 1,2 & 3 point perspective, learn human anatomy. After mastering this you could get into color, and if wanted cdolor is the stadium where you could consider buying a wacom.

Just my advice. If you have any more questions just ask

PS: don't only consider the PPL, but also consider the size, I've seen people drawing on int3 S, and making great picturs in class. Where I simply can't because of the size of my big ass XL.

-Tom

08 August 2009
Thanks a lot for the input, I must say I cant wait to have the basics of drawing...right now im just kinda "shopping" for a good place for drawing classes and I think I found one, but since nothing is started yet I was just kinda doing some apple shading tutorials with my mouse and its a lot of fun.

I have noticed its kinda hard to judge if I need to lower the opacity or if I should just pick a different color with the eyedropper (holding alt with the brush tool), its pretty hard blending the colors together sometimes because the smudge tool doesnt exactly blend perfectly, it just kinda moves the pixels in a direction. I guess im just really bad at judging what tool I should use in every "situation" right now. I think I was relying on gaussian blur too much to blend the colors.

08 August 2009
I've had several different wacoms in my hands and have been working mostly with an intuos3 6x8 at work as well as at home these past 2 years and I can safely say it's a perfect size for anything and also a reasonably prized buy. I'd definitely go with the I4 medium, which is what it's now called, I think...

08 August 2009
Blending is a thing which is really a pain in the beginning. Actually you should just use the brush tool with always a lower opacity.
1. block in your apple (in this case).
2. Between the big colors you choose some more subtle colors.
3. Keep lowering your opacity and keep blending. (till you get around 5% opacity or something)
4. You can add some detail to your apple, like some small green lines or something.

EDIT: What I was trying to say is actually based upon this post:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=107217

Last edited by LosPescados : 08 August 2009 at 11:18 AM.

11 November 2009
Speaking of tablets, do any of you guys use the Wacom Bamboo tablets? I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are on them, if they're a good tablet choice for artists.

My website:
www.cleverevans.com

11 November 2009
I do use the wacom bamboo tablet at school and for 3D modeling, it quite alright, only downside is that the buttons are in top.
However with the newer version of the bamboo (don't know exact name) the buttons are on the side and A LOT of people from school use these.

01 January 2010
Hi all,

Looking to purchase graphic tablets for our school. I have used the Graphire4 tablet and love it! It has been replaced by the over-priced and smaller bamboo line. I have various sources for the graphire4, but want to know if anyone has ever used another brand that is comparable.

The reality is that Wacom's tablets are outrageously priced and because there seems to be little or no competition, they probably feel comfortable shagging us with unreasonable prices or product lines that are smaller with fancy names.

Anyone use anything else? If no, good old Graphire4, here we come!

Thanks.

01 January 2010
Greetings,

I have been using tablets for 15 years. I'm now a full-time digital artist using both 2d and 3d tools.

I have found that:

a) Size of the tablets you like will change over time. For me, it was a journey from an A4 (8.25 x 11.75 inches), 4 x 5 Graphires to a 6 x 8 Intuos 3 and now an Intous 4 Large 8.25 x 13 inch widescreen format.

b) A low range wacom 4 x 5 and 6 x 8 will be perfectly suitable for 3D MODELING work, as an overly responsive large tablet actually works against you when you are pushing vertices.

However, for Zbrush/digital SCULPTING; an Intuos will offer much more control and responsiveness.

c) If you are a 2d digital illustrator, with today's large monitors and large dimensions PShop files; I have found the 6 x 8 to be restrictive.

d) The level of responsiveness from a graphire to Intuos 3 (previous model) was very noticeable for me; taking my work to another level.

The sense of responsiveness going from an Intuos 3 - 6 x 8 to my current Intuos 4 Large was for me an eye opener. I really appreciated the improvement and engineering that went into its design.

The only flaw is the close proximity of the buttons, which may be an issue for people with large hands.

e) I have tried other makes that uses a battery in the pen and also those claiming 1024 levels of sensitivity. I cannot personally recommend them, they are that unresponsive in comparison.

In summary,
I have found that Wacom tablets have improved much over the years and across models.
The lower models (graphire range and now bamboo) have no discernable difference in responsiveness that will matter to a digital artist.

The Intuos range are a different matter; the Intuos 4 Large is a different beast altogether for me and I can highly recommend it. The 6 x 8 sizes are for me now restrictive; unless portability is an issue for you.

Lastly, which may matter for some; I have never been able to sell any of my Graphire tablets second-hand, most people prefering to buy new. I had no problem selling my Intuos 3 as professionals know about its quality.

01 January 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread