Bisley's Warrior Princess, Joew (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
Thumbs up Woah...

Geeeeez...could you imagine if there was a woman with a body like that in real life?

Superb work!

03 March 2005
Hunter Model patch count?

I apologize in advance for dragging this topic back up - (maybe I should start a new topic) but just having finally signed up and searched through all the threads I could on JoeW's model I still couldn't locate a bit of info. Without bothering the very busy Joe...does anyone know the approximate patch count on Joe's hunter model?

I noted his comment/general guideline in another thread about trying to keep models around 3000 patches or less so they are easy to work with -- but my "realistic" models (with fingers and toes ) seem to be between 3800 and 4800 patches...without much...um "clothing". I've studied Joe's wires on the hunter model (in the animations) and my own fem. model "bodies" are very similar -- they might have another 100 or so patches in the main body. But I must be losing it in the detail of hands, feet and head? I mean I think I'm using some pretty common techniques...I just don't see how I could lose 1000 patches from my models without some major sacrifices in shape.

You get used to working certain ways and sometimes don't realize things when you work on your own...and I guess it didn't bother me until I saw Joe's note on the 3000 patches and now I'm wondering how much time I've been eating up working with with "heavier" models. Ha! Now I'm going back and tearing the heck out of a default model to get the patch count lower...argh!

TIA,

Markus G.

03 March 2005
Hey Markus,

Don't tear too much out - Hunter, in the latest iteration, is 9654 patches total - a lot of that is in the details which are all modeled. If you cound just her main mesh, she weighs in at 3260 (without costume).

I think the 3000 patch comment might have been directed at older versions of AM that would choke pretty badly on anything heavier. I've seen models of over 12000 patches running fairly well in newer versions (although making geometry changes is still a HUGE PITA because of the whole "finding patchs, etc, etc" thing).

I guess if I was to readdress my philosophy, it would be "Make it as light as you can - while still having it look like you want it to"

JoeW

Advice for Children: Be good....and you will be lonesome. Mark Twain

03 March 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread