Dreadnaught wip

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2016
Dreadnaught wip

Hi! Here is something I've been working on in Silo. It's from a concept androidarts.com's Reaverbot Legends. The characer is called a Dreadnaught.
I've modeled everything in Silo and for booleans, uv's used Blender.

The lower model is where I did all my modeling, the top model is what I exported for smooth groups and uvs etc. I also mark crease edges on the lower model and break them on the top model for areas where edgesplit modifier in blender misses.

viewport screen: I made a lot of iterations of objects, so when I add a "~" to the end of the object name it's a backup copy or boolean object to hide.

this a render from vray for blender:

03 March 2016
Brilliant work, iron-bear, that's some clean geometry. I can really appreciate your organization and naming structure, too. I've seen a lot of modeler ignore naming their objects. Too bad Silo doesn't have a layering system. Your customization setup is nice, too. I take it you are using one screen?

03 March 2016
Originally Posted by makit3d: Brilliant work, iron-bear, that's some clean geometry. I can really appreciate your organization and naming structure, too. I've seen a lot of modeler ignore naming their objects. Too bad Silo doesn't have a layering system. Your customization setup is nice, too. I take it you are using one screen?

makit3d, thanks, yeah i'm using one screen to work, it's wide though 2560x1440 so I split all my programs half screen. A layering system would be nice, something as simple as alphabetical sorting would help keep more organized.

03 March 2016
Sorting options would be great. For now I like to highlight groups of like objects, Copy (ctrl + c), delete then Paste. It puts all the objects at the bottom of the scene list. I do this when things start to get chaotic and I need to organize where they appear in the scene list.

03 March 2016
The copy and paste tip sounds good! Wish I would have done that sooner, thanks makeit3d.

03 March 2016
I started on the texture:

Just have to slap on some decals now.

03 March 2016
Did u use quixel suite when u texturing?if not how could u do such materials?

03 March 2016
Gorgeous work iron-bear.

And you're welcome. (for the tip)

Last edited by makit3d : 03 March 2016 at 12:29 PM.

03 March 2016
Thanks makeit3d
Hi karaislam, I used substance painter to texture.

03 March 2016

Unfortunately my original substance painter file got corrupted, so I started over from scratch and here's where it is now.

reply share thread