Viewport performance on deforming meshes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Viewport performance on deforming meshes

Hi there,

this has been bothering me for a while now, but I never found the time to do some proper research, so maybe someone else has had similar issues and can help me out here:

I have two workstations, one in the office and one at home and my home workstation is performing vastly inferior to my office workstation, mainly when it comes to deforming meshes (be it in Max or in Maya).

The specs:

Office:
CPU - intel Core I75930, 3,5 GHZ
GPU - GTX 780
Ram - 64gb
Windows 7

Home:
CPU - Intel Core I7 860, 2,8 GHZ
GPU - GTX 760
Ram - 32gb
Windows 10

Since the Graphics card is pretty similar I´m guessing the performance drop at home is probably because of the CPU (I´ve completely lost track of any current developments there...), but before buying any new hardware, I wanted to make sure thats actually the case and it wouldn´t just be fixable by switching back to Windows 7 or doing some driver voodoo...
Gaming at home is pretty decent, so I was sure it had to be software related until now...

02 February 2018
The CPUs are very different in performance. The one in the office machine is 5 years younger and also much higher clocked and has 6 instead of the 4 cores of your home system.
That said, the office CPU is 4 years old so current CPUs of the i7 line in the 3+ GHz range will beat it, but not by that far. as will the AMD Ryzen.
For viewport interaction it is usually the clock rate that makes the biggest difference, within the same line of processors, not the number of cores. For CPU rendering it is the reverse.
For comparison
The 5930 has a single core CB of 142 and a multi core CB of  1149
The 860 100 / 460
A Current 8700K 200 / 1200
As you can see your office machine isn't bad by current standards, but your home machine is quite lacking. A current (not high end) machine could be 2-3 times faster depending on the task.

You can see a nice comparison of CPUs here, your home system would be slightly below the lowest entrys of the lists.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/in...benchmarks.html

02 February 2018
Hey Srek, thanks for chiming in. Yeah, I actually did a CPU comparison myself and it seems to concur with my experience: Office viewport performance seems about 3 times higher than at home.
I just didn´t think the difference would be that high and I also was confused because I read several posts about how GPU power has the most impact on viewport performance.
I still am, so can you confirm that performance particularily for deforming meshes is about CPU power mostly?

02 February 2018
To this date very few operations beside rendering in any 3D DCC are GPU based or do support GPU calculation at all. The GPU comes into play for the display of the results of operations, but that is usually not a problem even for small GPUs. I have been using a GTX 750 for the Cinema 4D viewport on my private machine and it handled even large meshes without problems.  I now use a 1060 and while i wouldn't use it for serious gaming or GPU rendering it works well for 3D editing and animation. Cinema 4D has a bit higher CPU dependency in the editor than other apps, but especially for modelling the difference to Max or Maya should be small, if any.

02 February 2018
Ok, cool, thanks for clearing that up! I´ll focus on getting a better CPU for my homestation than (been doing more and more homeoffice lately...).

02 February 2018
The graphics cards are not pretty similar. The GTX780 is about 66% faster than the GTX760.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by SD3D: The graphics cards are not pretty similar. The GTX780 is about 66% faster than the GTX760.
If it comes to gaming or GPU computing the difference is huge, but for simply handling static polygons it isn’t.

02 February 2018
ok, I´m still confused now...what about deforming meshes then? Are those also handled by the CPU? I don´t care about static meshes, I don´t see much of a difference there in the viewport. Skinned meshes or other deforming objects are what make the big difference...

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by insertmesh: ok, I´m still confused now...what about deforming meshes then? Are those also handled by the CPU? I don´t care about static meshes, I don´t see much of a difference there in the viewport. Skinned meshes or other deforming objects are what make the big difference...

The deforming mesh geometry is processed by the CPU. The drawing of it in the viewport is processed by the GPU. So it's both but mostly the CPU is my guess without seeing the actual scene. I'm late to the conversation but I'll concur with what has been said already. Both the GPU and CPU on the machine at home are considerably slower than at work. It sounds like time for an upgrade at home (and at work...). A lot has changed in the last nine years!

02 February 2018
Yeah, well, the office machine still runs pretty smooth...

Should be easy to get a better then: When its slow scrubbing the timeline, its the cpu, and when its slow tumbling the viewport its the GPU...

reply share thread