CGTalk > Techniques > Character Rigging
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
newport beach, USA
Delete Non-Deformer History deletes my skin clusters

I'm here today to ask for an advice with deleting history on an already rig/skinned/deformed model. My knowledge of rigging is minimal but I do understand the basics. I am currently trying to mod one of my rigs from school in Maya. I have started deforming the mesh, averaging verticies and deleting faces doing so has inflated the mesh history. To resolve my issue, I applied the Delete Non-Deformer History tool and the results looked fine at a first glace. The skinning works but when I attempt to control some controls which had Skin Cluster Deformers/Blendshapes they have all but disappeared and no longer work. I tried animating without removing the history on the mesh but it has become unbearably slow. I would really appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Rigging Surgeon
Send a message via MSN to mountainRyan
With the blendshapes, perhaps someone else can chime in here to offer advice.

To preserver the skin, I recommend making a duplicate of your current model. It should have the skinCluster still in history. If it doesn't, make a new Smooth Bind skin on the dupe, add the bones and copy skin weights over.

Now that the dupe has the skin cluster info, delete non-deformer history on your previous model. Make a new Smooth Bind skin, copy skin weights from the dupe over to your old model and check to make sure it came over. If that all goes well, it should have worked and you at least have your weights preserved.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
newport beach, USA

So for the late reply. Thank you for your advice. I will try what you suggested right away.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread