portfolio
Nicolo' Zubbini
Env artist
freelance
Torino, Italy

Send a message via MSN to NiZu
Urban environment still

Hello everyone,
I've been working on a new portfolio still , although it's basically done by now (yet .. still unnamed :P ) i'm open to suggestions on any topic: from light, exposure and comp to realism and proportions of modelled architecture and decor, ideas on areas that could use some more props and details , weak spots , etc..

Here's the image :

Also , There's plenty of posts on my blog with w.i.p. and breakdown material:

http://nizuvault.wordpress.com/

(including a slideshow with about 50 test renders from early blockout to final tweaks) :

Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
NiZu
Frequenter

portfolio
Nicolo' Zubbini
Env artist
freelance
Torino, Italy

Update, after some feedback i got on BA forums, it was mentioned adding a character, .. but characters are an issue : being an env artist, that's what i focus on . When i tried to have chars in my last personal still .. they weren't at the same level as the hard-surface parts, and i don't want people to be distracted by a bad skin shader or similar..

So i thought , if not chars .. at least some storytelling element would help , i came up with the idea of the cordon.. (like a crime scene, or a contagion zone .. ) it's just a minor element but adds some plot , as well as just phyisically filling some space in the road area , and ,as for composition , it mirrors the curve of the arch above.

Side note : i've added displacement to the foreground bricks ... being those so close up, makes a nice difference to have the detailed silhouette and better shading... (and it wasn't much work , i just added some subd, a displace modifier an used weight paint to tweak intensity in different areas)

This could be the final render ( still some post tweaks for sure ) you can check fullsize here : http://nizuvault.files.wordpress.com...9/tuning18.png

Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Miked08
Big fan of pictures

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Mike Luard
CGI Artist
Colchester, United Kingdom

That's really impressive, great job! I enjoyed looking at the hi-res shot.

I'm no pro at composition but the image is a bit symmetrical. Perhaps you could arrange the view like this:

Old 09-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
NiZu
Frequenter

portfolio
Nicolo' Zubbini
Env artist
freelance
Torino, Italy

Thanks ! and great suggestion .. considering i'm still bothered that my last big personal project was precisely too simmetrical in composition .

Too bad i just hit publish (at least on BA forums) .. i did quite a few adjustments earlier on, to make the perspective more dynamic, and i was satisfied .. at least until now.

I think i see what you did (flip, crop a bit of column on 1 side , add a bit of pespective - trapeze deformation , and shade f.g. darker and bk.g. lighter) ..i'll need to think about this !

Old 09-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
NiZu
Frequenter

portfolio
Nicolo' Zubbini
Env artist
freelance
Torino, Italy

About the composition feedback, i kept the original camera for this project, but thanks again , that gave me some useful pointers for next projects.

To conclude , link to a post-mortem video tutorial about this project :

http://youtu.be/doJq8m6emsI

In this, i show w.i.p. renders and other source materials about the project and talk about the blockout, modelling, texturing, shading , rendering and compositing of an hipoly environment still made for portfolio and study.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
giuliotonini
Explorer

portfolio
Giulio Tonini
2D 3D Generalist / Supervisor
Xchanges vfx
Milano, Italy

Hi NiZu,

I like the details you put all around. All the small variations in the tiles on the sidewalk and on the street.

It's a good idea to put some elements as a clue of human presence. Maybe you should push it even further, as if something has happened some minutes before that picture was "taken".
Maybe you can put one of two poles on the ground to suggest that someone has knocked it over going through them. You can turn on the light on the other pole. Put some shattered glass on the ground near the pole as if the veichle that has knoked it down broke his front light colliding with it.

The textures looks great, what software have you used for the texuring process? Only Photoshop or also Mari?

By the way, really nice work.

cheers,
Giulio

Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
NiZu
Frequenter

portfolio
Nicolo' Zubbini
Env artist
freelance
Torino, Italy

Thanks,

I get your point , one possible focus point/story element i considered -that worked with the abandoned/plague theme - was an animal carcass in the middle of the road .. but i cut that because of time limists (self-imposed , being a personal project)
I suppose i was still foucsed on technical stuff, being my first big personal project with Cycles renderer .. next time : more plot .

About the textuuring app : it's all Blender + Gimp, check the blog or video links above for more info, but in general : i used Blender for direct painting on meshes (for dirtmaps) and Gimp to work on photo based textures.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread