NowItCanBeTold
portfolio
USA

Or you could go with Samsung.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #17
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

I have a revodrive (PCIe card with four ssd's in a raid for a max of 1.5gb/s throughput)

After installing it my machine felt as if twice as fast. Incredibly responsive to everything I do. In a nutshell: yes, it DOES have quite an impact on the overall work experience. I would never go back to those extremely slow hard drives to run an OS.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
sh4dow
Veteran
Andy
Compositor
Germany

I recently was interested in this as well and have come across these things:

SSD return rates

Reviews on various online stores seemed to confirm this tendency that Crucial delivers the highest quality at least among affordable consumer drives.
Which is why I got a small one myself a while back just for my OS. It now has a power on time of 264 days and is just fine. Although there was a hickup once where I kept getting BSODs. Quick googling showed that I needed a firmware update - did it and everything was fine again. And I think it's safe to assume that drives sold these days will already ship with firmware without that issue.

I also came across this interesting little article with a link to an actual research paper:
How Power Failures Corrupt Flash SSD Data

So I figured I should really get a UPS should I ever get an SSD I would actually store important data on.
However, fortunately at least Crucial apparently has come up with a solution (which most people dismiss as "unnecessary", presumably because they are not aware of the tests people have done like the one linked above):
"Hold Up capacitors also ensure the drive won't lose data in the case of a power outage."
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwa...ed-20nm-micron/

All of which means at least to me that the next time I'll have a spare ~$800 (or the price drops even further), I'll replace the two traditional RAID1 HDDs I have for my most important data with two SSDs

Old 07-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowItCanBeTold
You'll definitely want to go the SSD route, as sooner than later they will be the standard and HDDs will be defunct.

This is simply not true. Hard drives will be around for decades to come and maybe longer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ciocent...ff-hard-drives/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowItCanBeTold
They're a must for 3D content creation.

This is opinion, which I disagree with. It can benefit a few workflows that are I/O bound but those are few and far between (large simulation caches, 4K stereo compositing, very large textures). Certainly not a "must" for 3D content creation.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread