Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
"Law of the Jungle" - Pre-E3 trailer for Bungie's Destiny, directed by Jon Favreau

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS1BM9XRgvw

The trailer to the new game "Destiny" by Bungie.
Trailer was directed by Jon Favreau ("Zathura", "Iron Man").

Old 05-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

This is starting to look interesting. I have been loving the concept art that's been trickling out. They sure have a bunch of A-list concept artists working on this, and it shows in the environments. I'm soooo bored with bleak military shooters and dull post-apocalyptic scenarios. Glad to see they're injecting some color and interesting lighting into it.

I'm not sure if having "Gus" do the reading is working for them, though. I mean, I love Giancarlo Esposito, but now he just gives me the creeps the moment I see him onscreen. I still have trouble believing he's the same guy from one of my favorite movies.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
I'm not sure if having "Gus" do the reading is working for them, though. I mean, I love Giancarlo Esposito, but now he just gives me the creeps the moment I see him onscreen.

He could have launched into the "What does a man do? A man provides.." right after that.

I still haven't watched Revolution, even though he is the heavy in it, the rest seemed so terrible. Yet it's on season 2 and apparently popular, so who knows.

Odd trend in live action wraparounds for game trailers instead of cutscenes, that Quantum Break trailer did that too, and there have been a few more, especially in TV spots. Pulls me out of it a little. Though it's preferable to badly acted CG monologues I guess.

I really like the worldbuilding and design in this, feels very old school scifi, though this trailer had some moments that could have been pulled from any recent Star Wars game. I'm sure more of the unique properties of the characters and world will come out as they show more of it though.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Looks really good.
In the second film they show some of the character designs and models and they look top class. As was said the here we go again with post planet trauma is an eyeroll but it looks like they are handling this in a fresher way.

There seems to be a promise of exploration which I find an essential element. I hope there is a third person cam included because there is only so many campaigns you can fight from within a letterbox.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Its amazing how much 'atmosphere' (as in actual atmosphere - gas, air, etc) lends itself to these CG productions. The shots on the moon really seem...empty...almost like bad green screen shots.

Im really loving the design in Destiny in general. Bungie know their shit, and make awesome IP's!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

I know that the first look video of Destiny was mostly comprised of concept art but it felt big, epic and exciting, this looks extremely lacklustre by comparison.

Also by today's (admittedly, ludicrously high) standards the CG looks pretty underwhelming, to the extent where I actually hope they reveal this was done in-engine. Things like the odd looking electric crackle on the protagonist's gun and strange over-bright specular on the giant guy's armour make me hope that this is the case.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
tommy138
Veteran
portfolio
Tom van Dop
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
I still have trouble believing he's the same guy from one of my favorite movies.

Buggin' Out!

Old 05-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Kzin
Expert

portfolio
Holger Tesch
Shading/Lighting Artist
Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Kzin
what is this trailer all about? a pathetic bookreader and some moorhuhn shooting like marines?
so the game is then moorhuhn but with cool zbrush models?

technically it looks ok, but nothing special. after the last concepts i expected way more better and interesting looking images.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
nakimushi
Frequenter

portfolio
kusanagi
sr.Animator
Ubisoft
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via AIM to nakimushi Send a message via Yahoo to nakimushi
I was pretty disappointed by this trailer / it looks just cheap and not interesting
compared to some other live action trailers mixed with CG like God of War or Skyrim

Old 05-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

It is true that Favreau didn't seem to get a lot of work done on this one.

When Michael Bay had the chance to direct a game trailer he seemed to do a lot more with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp2HROFjxxk

Heck, I think Bioware worked harder than anyone for this trailer to Mass Effect 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2O-0-fQOOs

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 05-25-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #11
badsearcher
Wizard

portfolio
George T
Filmmaker
Los Angeles, USA

Made me wanna play Mass Effect 2, not gonna lie. Can't say the same for the 'Law of the Jungle'. I already forgot the name of the game being advertised.

If I'll make a critique to the presentation itself... Obviously they were trying to go with the dissonance of a book being present in some future world but during the scenes where they were in the room it seemed like the director was avoiding portraying both of these aspects straightforwardly. It gives me the impression of a lack of confidence and vision.

Last edited by badsearcher : 05-25-2013 at 05:09 AM.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

I wasn't bowled over by this commercial but then they're being deliberately obscure to built up our sense of intrigue - a common marketing ploy. Having read the synopsis elsewhere I find the story interesting even if certain elements remind me vaguely of Neon Genesis Evangelion; it'll still be significantly different to most of what's out there now. I just hope that "From the makers of Halo" doesn't become a constant refrain - because nothing says you lack confidence in you current product like referring to past glories and hoping to coast along on the reputation of something from the past.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

Personally, I thought the models looked really nice but concept wise, I wasn't really wowed. I mean we have 3 faceless characters instead of just one and I don't see how they are connected. The 3 characters look so different from each other, I don't see their relationship, if they had something similar maybe you can say their from the same side. I just feel they are out of place.

I found it over the top that 3 people can take on an entire army. Also near the end of the trailer, the main character one-shot six enemies with his futuristic revolve after not doing any damage with his automatic rifle?

However I actually liked the live scene with the window background, it looked more interesting that the rest of the trailer. I guess I felt it was well shot and get a better sense of the setting.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Old 05-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread