Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
mattmos
henchman

portfolio
Matt Morris
Director
Matinai
Kington St. Michael, United Kingdom

Looking good, I've never heard of that PSU unit though, and the one thing you really don't want to skimp on is your psu.

Might be worth having a look at this one by Seasonic, very well reputed psu manufacturer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-Mo...bs_computers_12

750w, and cheaper (at least on the amazon uk site)

Old 07-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #17
sparkfusion

Ok, thanks for reviewing the setup ThE_JacO + mattmos!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Setup looks good, just curious as to why two different brands of similar SSD? I'd be more inclined to pick a single 512 gig SSD, it will be more useful in the future with a larger single capacity, the same way its best to get 2x 8 gig sticks of ram instead of 4x 4 gig ones. Same result now, but youll wish you had bought the larger capacity further down the line.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #19
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

For the ram I see listed a 32GB ripjaw kit, that'd be 4x8GB.
I hadn't noticed the dual SSD, yeah, that'd be a bit odd and likely wasteful. Maybe when I read I read it as option 1 and option 2 (in which case 840 pro).

The one situation I could make sense of it for is if one was solely dedicated as an online/cache kind of drive, but it'd probably still be more flexible and better value to buy a 512 and repartition it as needed. Sort of... actually undecided about that

Free Maya Nodes

Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
sparkfusion

The 2nd different drive was to test another SSD brand that is expected to be super fast.
But I have chosen not to and now all will be Samsung pro SSDs, no time to "test" being this my only working rig

still my idea is to separate the OS+apps (1 SSD) from the project data files in a separate SSD to minimize data loss if one SSD goes mad. right now I am also looking for an efficient back-up solution in addition to the installed HDDs or SSDs. do you guys have any sugguestions on this?

as for the RAM, in one forum or pdf sheet I read that the best allocation of RAM for this mainboard is to fill 4 banks instead of 2 or an odd number, so for now 4x8 GB.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #21
mattmos
henchman

portfolio
Matt Morris
Director
Matinai
Kington St. Michael, United Kingdom

The samsung evo is the new 'hotness' for ssd. Should be fine for what you're looking at. not sure a 256Gb drive would be large enough to use as a storage drive for projects though. After a while the renders stack up I have an ssd for programs and as the current project folder, and a 2Tb drive for all projects. That's very specific to a small operation though, you may have to experiment to find the best setup for you.

Backup I use a usb3 external drive for data (so if I'm away the drive gets hidden), and also occasionally backup essential files to an online account (www.box.com).

Old 08-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #22
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

You keep sources, not resulting renders on an online style storage
That said, unless playback of large data sets is important, it usually isn't worth it, and it's a useless separation for safety as that should be left to backups and raid 5 or better redundancy.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 08-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #23
Kinematics
kinematics
CG Artist
USA

Send a message via MSN to Kinematics
Guys I don't mean to hijack this conversation but I'd rather ask here then start another thread.

I'm building a crazy ass rig for all plugins that are node locked in the office for the fastest render, simulation, Vray RT etc etc.

I have a k5000 already and this rig will take it.

I've got a good discount on Intel processors and have been trying to pick between Xeons and the i7.

I'm a little lost as to which is best for Xeons for 3dwork. E5 or E7 and their prices don't seem accurate on intels website. Xeons seem SO expensive.

The reason behind want a Xeon is that my Dual CPU macpro outperforms all other PC's here by well, probably just cause its got one additional processor.

What is the current sweet spot price/power if I want to go with Duo CPU setup? I won't overclock and keep it stock.

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Don't hijack threads. Start a new one.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #25
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Actually it's fine to move along similar threads when possible
Makes searches and thread browsing more efficient.
Similar enough budget is enough IMO for this to be here.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Some good points made throughout the thread. About waiting for the new Xeons: well the 12 core ones will cost up to $3000 a piece, but there might be better prices for new 6-8 core xeons.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7214/...er-ivy-bridgeep

Considering you budget though the 6 core i7 along with mentioned parts might be the best bet.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #27
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread