New Mac Pro in 2019

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

2 Weeks Ago
May I ask what kind of specs/price are you expecting from the new machine?
Seems quite a few people here wish to have very fast hardware but have unrealistic expectation about the price.

2 Weeks Ago
I'm betting the 2019 Mac Pro willstart at $3500 and it will not be what I expect. The only thing I know is that Apple will surprise me, good or bad.

After I heard an hour long chat with Tech Crunch writer Matthew Panzarino, I feel a little better about Apple's moves, however slow they may be. His article here is pretty neat: https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/a...d-by-workflows/

I just hope Apple continues to take eGPU seriously. They also need to take nVidia seriously, and after hearing Mr. Panzarino talk about it (and he even described seeing a demo of eGPUs with Cinema 4d, even if he didn't fully understand what was going on), I think Apple knows they have to get nVidia on board. Apple's eGPUs in thunderbolt 3 devices are great for GPU engines and probably enough for me. But they only officially support AMD right now, and that's limiting.

After the announcement of Octane 4 running on Metal on Mac OS using AMD cards (but unknown when the C4d plugin will be updated), and Quixel Suite coming to Mac OS, I feel like it's going to be a better time to be a Mac owner. If I were doing C4d full time I'd be on PC, no question, because I wouldn't have time to wait for the Mac to catch up.

reply share thread