FXWars:Warp Drive: Nicholas McElmury, Trek Tribute

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 03 March 2014   #1
FXWars:Warp Drive: Nicholas McElmury, Trek Tribute

Had to jump at the opportunity to participate in this one as a lifelong Trek geek.

I built a model of the Enterprise-E ( The one from First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis) a while back, and have been itching to do an animation with it.

I'de like to do a jump to warp, show the ship in warp, and then dropping out of warp.

Roberto was kind enough to bend the rules to allow multiple cuts, so that should help.

Looking forward to seeing some other entries!

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 03 March 2014   #2
Got a chance to get started this past weekend. Grabbed my model and tweaked a few small things to get it ready for some animation and began some layout.

Here's the model I will be using.

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 03 March 2014   #3
Ahh, the Soverign class. What a beauty. Looks great.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

Old 04 April 2014   #4
Daniel-B - Thanks a lot man! I was a fun model to make, took me quite a while.

Work has been insane these past couple weeks so I haven't gotten a chance to do much.

Here's a rough animation with the start of some FX. Still not liking the look of the initial warp "bubble", but I'll get around to making it look pretty.

The first shot will also have a nebula the ship will be emerging from in the beginning. I did a FumeFX sim, and lo and behold, I filled up the hard drive on my computer in a hurry, so I will be finding a workaround to that. Also ned to fix a couple of wobbly keyframes

I really liked the look of the warp scenes in "Into Darkness", so I will be using that as my main inspiration.

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 04 April 2014   #5
Hey, that was awesome.
I really like the trail effects ship left when going into hyperspeed.

I also loved the editing.

Old 04 April 2014   #6
Cool sequence.

Great camera move at the start.
It does look like the particles shoot straight up after a bit. Not sure if that is what you were going for.
The arrival was a nice touch, but almost wanted to see a "reconstruction" phase with the particles again. Although that may just be confusing.

Just rambling, it's looking great so far.

Old 04 April 2014   #7
Great start Nicholas. That's going to be a solid entry.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2014   #8
Thanks so much for the responses guys.

Gonzomuse - Yeah I wanted the ship to have an upwards traveling motion as it sped off, something a little more interesting than a straight line.
I do plan on having an reconstruction sequence when the ships arrives, just haven't gotten around to building it yet is all

Got a jump on rendering, it's taking a while, but I've been leaving it running at night and during the day while I'm working to nip away at it.
Here's a preview render, it's only about half of the first cut, but should give an idea of what I'm aiming for. Still unsure whether or not I like how the cloud looks, I think it should dissipate before the ship essentially wipes the camera. We'll see!

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 04 April 2014   #9
I love the Enterprise coming through the nebula gas. That's so cool.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

Old 04 April 2014   #10
Isn't a ship too glossy? I'd break that glossiness with a map, something like it was in the 2009 ST movie.

Also, I think at first the gas on top of the ship could be thicker, so that it's interaction with it is more obvious.

http://hdwallpappers.com/images/wal...enterprise-.jpg

Other than that, looks really cool And these are just suggestions

ADDED:
Actually, after looking at it a few times, I think what I don't like is the spec coming from the spotlight on top of it...

Old 04 April 2014   #11
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words and suggestions!

I added a bit more gas, and turned down that hot light that was running across the top (thanks for pointing that out Nixellion)

Here's an update with all the shots.

Upon rendering I realized there are still a few things I want to change.

Namely the second shot, something still looks a bit off to me.
I also want to polish up the earth and moon a bit, they look pretty plain at the moment.

I will also spend some time working on the background so there's something a little more interesting than a generic star field

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05 May 2014   #12
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=139&t=1187391
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2014   #13
Thanks for the heads up Roberto!

Just finished this thing up. Added some sound (not my strong point), and a track from the Generation soundtrack I've always been pretty fond of.

Overall pretty happy with it, there's a couple things I would do differently, but all in all, I'de say it's not half bad

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 07 July 2014   #14
CONGRATZ! GREAT ENTRY

This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

reply share thread