Linear workflow and command line render question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Question Linear workflow and command line render question

Hi,
I am trying to use a linear lighting workflow in mental ray for my lighting scene. I am rendering out my images in open EXR. I heard somewhere that I need to batch render my scene because if I use the render view window I will only be able to save my images as 8-bit. Could some one confirm this? I am also using render passes for the master layer. I am only trying to render a single still frame.
Also
I have tried to use command line rendering but no image file is showing up in the folder I specified?
basically what I did was save the preferences in the scene I wanted to render then in the command line I typed:

Render -r mr "D:\3dmodeling\myscene\scenes\test.mb"
(and I did make sure this was set in the correct directory)

Is there anything else I need to do?
I'm trying to render out a beauty, AO and Depth pass. The passes are associated with the master layer.

Last edited by LRomel : 03 March 2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: addtional information

Old 03 March 2013   #2
So far what i tested to get 32bit images i can confirm that it is not possible to save out a 32bit .exr to disk or even render it inside the RenderViewWindow. You need to render it with MentalRayForMaya in batch mode or with MentalRayStandalone. The flags for getting the rendered images into a custom folder is for example using the default maya install path:
"c:\program files\autodesk\maya2013\bin\render.exe" -r mr -rd "c:\myCustomFolder" c:\maya\projectName\scenes\someStuff.mb

But note that if you use passes or render layers maya creates a subfolder structure. Also some older versions of maya will not automatically create folders you specify with "-rd", so if they do not exist maya stores the images into the default output folder.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
here's how you do it.
render setting˃options˃preview˃ uncheck "preview tonemap Tiles"
make a render and in the render view window hit the "keep image" button, now go to your project folder and in "image˃tmp" you will find your 32bit openEXR image with whatever render passes you have set.
good luck!

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread