Rendering Problems

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Exclamation Rendering Problems

Hi,

I am working on a project and it recently rendered out but I added more bits. Now it does not render.

If I batch render it says is it rendering with mental ray but then says it has completed when it hasn't.

or

If i render using the render window, so I can see what its doing it looks likes its trying then after a about a minute says fatal error attempting to save and crashes.

I have cleaned up my hierachy and optimized scene size just in case it might have been some loose bits that are not meant to be there but it still does not work. I'm not sure why.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12 December 2012   #2
To be Able to help you se need more info. Polycount in the scene? Any uncached fluids, particles or ncloths? Amount of memory in your system.

Maya version?
What Did you add that made it crash?

Find your renderlog and see what it tells you.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
It is a woodland forest type scene but with my own interesting and abstract trees but nothing complicated just simple stuff, the trees are slightly like those in the Lorax so nothing major.

well I have 8.00GB memory, I havent used ncloth or fluids, but I have used Fur such as lion and mouse fur and grass. the poly count is quite high 7 digits. and its the maya version 2013.

I did add lots more grass though. It just crashes if I do the render through the window. if i render it properly by batch rendering it says is is rendering then says it has completed but there is no file anywhere and it happened too quick for it to be rendered.

Im not sure what the renderlog is to be honest. would that tell me everything Im using in my scene or something?

Thanks

Old 12 December 2012   #4
My guess is that its the fur that is eating up your mem. Try hiding it and rerender. The renderlog might tell you more what causes the error.

If the batchrender says its completed without Any output it might be that the project isnt setup correct.

Try to set it up correct and save your file. Then try to render again.

Old 12 December 2012   #5
The renderlog is located under My documents/Maya/

Its just a simple textfile that logs what happens during a render.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Are you instancing your grass and plants properly? If so, it should take no more RAM to render one than it does to render one million of them - it'll just take longer to calculate.

Also, are you using BSP2 for optimization? Is your primary renderer set to "Raytracing"? Default is Scanline, for mental ray.

If it crashes or runs out of RAM in the RenderView, Batch Rendering it likely won't help. Optimizing a scene can be difficult though.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 12 December 2012   #7
I'm not quite sure what I am looking for but I found where I tried to render, it just says a lot about the maya fur renderer, but I still don't get an actual output. I hid the grass layer in case it was that but it still doesnt work?

Im not sure what else it could be it worked not long ago the only thing I changed was I added more tall trees with fur and more grass and a couple more plants. So it must be something do with the grass or fur but I just can't understand what that could be.

Thanks

Old 12 December 2012   #8
I have found some errors listed in the script editor:

Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2013/scripts/fur/FurPluginCreateUI.mel line 7508: No object matches name: //
// Error: HfGetFurUVSet true; //
// Error: Line 1.20: Wrong number of arguments on call to HfGetFurUVSet. //

What do these mean????

Thanks

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Not sure about that error, mentions fur so might be best to duplicate the scene and delete all the fur and any fur nodes and see if it renders without it.

If you have lots of trees might be best to look at using Mental Ray Proxy models, as well as spliting your scene up into render passes / layers and compositing them together.

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Its okay now peeps,

I managed get it working, although all I did was rename the furs just to tidy up the naming of them, I did find a mouse fur which wasn't attached or being used so I deleted that. I did find in the script editor about one of my textures it wouldn't work with jpg or psd for some reason so I just changed it to a iff for maya in photoshop.

After doing those things it seemed to work then so not sure what exactly might have worked but thanks anyway I did read and take the advice in, I so much appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 12 December 2012   #11
More Shave errors...?

Old 12 December 2012   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread