FX Scripts (FFX, AB, Pflow)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2008   #16
Omg awesome share Allan.Thanks a million.

Old 03 March 2008   #17
Talking

thank you very much for this >>

Old 03 March 2008   #18
Talking hey

thank you very much for this >>

Old 04 April 2008   #19
Sweet, Ill have to scan over these to try and figure them out.

The one thing I cant seem to wrap my head around is just how to go about writing the scripts themselves. We did learn MaxScript from Paul Neale this year, but its somewhat tricky trying to figure out the workflow of PFlow (no pun intended =P).

Just as an example: Im sitting here in the lab trying to tell my emitted particles that once they collide with a simple sphere to lock on and drip down the surface of the object until it reaches the bottom and continue to descend. Im sure theres a way to do it with just using operators, but If I can learn to script this simple effect I can start unlocking more doors to more elaborate effects.

I dont mean to impose, but could you shed some light on basic PFlow Scripting?

Old 04 April 2008   #20
Originally Posted by DSVega93: ...Just as an example: Im sitting here in the lab trying to tell my emitted particles that once they collide with a simple sphere to lock on and drip down the surface of the object until it reaches the bottom and continue to descend. Im sure theres a way to do it with just using operators, but If I can learn to script this simple effect I can start unlocking more doors to more elaborate effects.

I dont mean to impose, but could you shed some light on basic PFlow Scripting?

Actually, while this could be scripted, it would not be too much fun, and for larger meshes, it could get really slow. PFTools Box#1 (www.orbaz.com) has an operator (Lock/Bond) that is designed for just such an effect. It is a very good thing to learn scripting with PFlow, if you deal a lot with PFlow and want to push beyond the basics, I would highly recommend getting the PFTool Boxes. Box#1 has some very useful additions to PFlow (such as Lock/Bond) and really completes the power of PFlow. And Box#3 adds, among other things, the ability to create custom Operators that execute faster than a Script Operator.
Proverbs 17:28 - Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.

Old 04 April 2008   #21
Hmm, that just might work too. Still, are there any resources out there that explain how particle scripting works or would I be best scouring the MaxHelpfiles?

Old 04 April 2008   #22
The best places to learn are www.orbaz.com/forum and http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/
Proverbs 17:28 - Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.

Old 04 April 2008   #23
put up two new minor vids

Just a very quick look at AB4's new features.
www.allanmckay.com/tut/AB4_Intro.avi

New maxscript tut which is basically covering how to read values in a max file and write them out to a text file, as well as read in files from a specific directory etc. Just a bit more left field examples of maxscript rather than reading object properties etc.
www.allanmckay.com/tut/maxscript_03.avi

http://www.allanmckay.com/
http://www.fumefxtraining.com

Old 04 April 2008   #24
hi Allan,
how are u dude?

did you put your tutorials on catastrophicfx as well?

Concurrent download limit exceeded.

Old 04 April 2008   #25
Cool vids, Allan! Thanks! Btw, I am making my first FumeFX/Afterburn reel next week, I have a shot at a job in a movie FX studio. Cross fingers for me

Old 04 April 2008   #26
Cool Allan,

but,
"Concurrent download limit exceeded."

any other link?

cheers,
Bandu

Old 04 April 2008   #27
I'm going to have to get a new server soon!
but if the page doesnt load try again in a few mins just means too many people are downloading at once

hey ruben!

http://www.allanmckay.com/
http://www.fumefxtraining.com

Old 05 May 2008   #28

Last edited by supremepizza : 05 May 2008 at 06:58 PM.

Old 05 May 2008   #29
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread