New Demo Reel And Online Portfolio, Joe Sandstrom (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #76
excellent style and impressive reel

Old 10 October 2004   #77
Really great work man!!!
You portfolio site is perfectly laid out with a clean design!
I simply loved your character designs and the demo-reel was perfect in its presentation and length!

Old 10 October 2004   #78
Thanks to all.

Again, thanks for your comments.
calebs: Great to hear from you! Long time ... shoot me an email.

To answer a few questions:

Steve Ryder: Yes to all of the above I guess I'm a bit of a generalist.

???: Well, the reel is definetly geared toward a modeling position and the flat portfolio is, as well. The flat portfolio is also a demonstration of character design. Character design ties in to modeling in many ways. You usually are working off of model sheets provided by the character designers / modeling department. So I feel it is very beneficial to demonstrate some of those skills, as well as the thought process and imaginative thinking.

madmanmagic: Some of the characters and props in my portfolio were modeled in 3dsmax and some in Maya. At times, both. Some work was started in 3dsmax and brought over to Maya. There was also some modeling done in Silo. Everything in the portfolio is modeled in Polys/SubDs. I model in polys and keep checking the subdivision along the way. In the end I have a poly mesh that gets subdivided. All in all, the modeling software didn't matter a whole lot. Some of the tools vary, but the methodology and understanding of edge flow to keep a clean deformable mesh is universal in all software.

Regarding modeling tutorials, the best advice I can offer to anyone is practice, practice, practice. The understanding of shape and form is extremely benefical. Attending figure drawing workshops and sculpting, as well as just going out and sketching. Study life and the things around you. Pay attention to forms and shapes you see. Carry a sketchbook with you. Also, doing cross countor line excercises of figures, objects, etc really helps to train your eye to see changes in form and surfaces. These excercises help you to spot problem areas quicker and fix them, which has proved extremely beneficial. In a sense, a mesh is made up of edges, these edges are in fact cross countor lines that make up the surface properties of your geometry. So, cross contour drawing excercises can really help in that regard. Basically, the more you broaden your skillset and the more excercises you do to train your minds' eye, the better off you will be. Anything else is technical. Keep on practicing!

Last edited by Joe Sandstrom : 10 October 2004 at 11:35 PM.

Old 10 October 2004   #79
cross contour drawing

Joe,
Thanks for the modeling info.

I am not sure what you mean by cross contour drawing?

Do you mean profile and head on? The way you set up image planes in Maya, by using a profile drawing of a head and a straight on view?

I take it, to mean drawing a human face, but block it out as if drawing it with polygons.
Thanks
Dan

Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by madmanmagic : 10 October 2004 at 10:31 PM.

Old 10 October 2004   #80
hey cool

hey thats cool sandy..... u gotta cool demo... gud characters... any animations?

Old 10 October 2004   #81
did u do it in max/ maya?

Old 10 October 2004   #82
stuff looks great! well done. The only thing I'd say about your reel is that it feels as though you put everything you've ever done on there. For example the owl... I dont think it's anywhere near as good as some of the other character stuff. I would attempt to cut the reel back a bit and focus it more on what you want to do. Maybe make two reels one for sketches char design /modelling etc. another for animation and so on. If I was to receive this reel I wouldn't know exactly what you want to do. The work is good but there's too much there for me.

(sorry if this has been said before I didnt want to trawl the 6 pages of replies to find out )

Alan

Old 10 October 2004   #83
madmanmagic: Let me clarify. When I talk about cross contour drawing, I mean just that, drawing. I'm talking about it in the traditional sense, a piece of paper with a pencil, ink, brush, whatever tool you wish. Cross contour drawing is an excercise to help train your eye to see things better 3-dimensionally. Basically what you are doing is drawing lines as you look at the subject you are drawing. These lines that you draw are not meant to create an accurate drawing, you are using them to make your minds eye interperate what you see and translate them onto a 2D surface. Although 3D software works in a virtual 3D space, what you are seeing on the screen, is still represented in 2D. This is merely a training excercise. Basically you are utilizing your brain and training it to see changes in form on a 3-dimensional object. When doing this, you aren't concentrating on making a pretty drawing. Most of the time when doing this excercise, I tend to do blind contours. This means that I am not looking at the paper as I draw, it's tempting to want to look down and see what you are doing, but that is not the purpose. What a blind contour drawing achieves is a more concentrated study of the subject and it's 3-dimensionality (I think I just invented a word.) What you end up with, basically looks like a wireframe. This is hard to explain into words, so here are some examples from some of my own personal excercises. I hope this helps.

Old 10 October 2004   #84
Pure_Morning: Thanks, and I do appreciate your honesty. As for an unfocused reel, I can see where you are coming from. However, the reel is focused as a modeling reel. From a modeling supervisor standpoint, I myself would find sketches and character design skills to be a plus. The majority of the reel is wireframe on shaded model turn arounds. This comprises of probably 90% of the reel. The work on here makes up for a very small portion of what I have done over the years, and was cut back considerably. As for animation, there's not much on there. It was included to show that the models can be animated and are built with an animatable topology in mind. This also shows the understanding of rigging which of course is also a benefit for any modeler. A modeler would also be responsible for modeling and creating blendshapes, such as for facial animation. This is demonstrated on the reel through animation. If you were to recieve the reel, you would also recieve a coverletter indicating my experience and what kind of position I was interested in. You could then determine if I would fit your needs based on that, in combination with the reel and included portfolio. Again, I do appreciate your honest feedback. I will take it into consideration on my next reel, but I just wanted to share with everyone my thought process when I was putting the reel together.

Old 10 October 2004   #85
Thanks for taking the time!

Joe
Thanks for taking the time to explain contour drawing, I really do appreciate it!

I see what you mean by the example you posted, hope this helps others too.

I did a search to see if there was any thread on contour drawing but found none, or if there is I missed it.

This seems like a worthy thread on its own and I would like to see/discuss how others think in these contour drawing terms.

Again, thanks for taking the time Joe!! And good luck in your search for the perfect job. I really wish I had your modeling skills! Great stuff!
Dan

Christopher Hitchens

Old 10 October 2004   #86
First off great reel joe. I've enjoyed your work since back in the day at AIP (i still remember that monk with the "skirt" looking outfit). I really enjoy your 2d work, especially the 2d unka. I've seen your storyboards from the hendersons show and really liked them too. Keep up the good work.

ps. wendy says hi

Old 01 January 2006   #87
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread