SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladivpg
Thank you guys for all the picky notes about my English. Yes I have to admit I am very uneducated. And I'll try to improve my style as much as I can too.

To be honest I was hoping for more of a technical discussion. That's a CG forum for god sake.
And some of you really did try to stick with the subject in hand. Like the guy from Chile who got hunted for not noticing my illiteracy. Thank you man, I appreciate everything that you said.
So to him and all others who posted a constructive critique and comments.

Listen stop with the passive aggressive attitude please. I was trying to help you by editing your post. You posted a unreadable post which unless edited nobody would have read. Nobody cares if you don't have perfect English, God knows I don't but it is common sense to make your post as readable as you possibly can so you can get the most replies to your question.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
republicavfx
Expert

portfolio
Scott Turner
Generalist
Vina Del Mar, Chile

agree that inventor is a dream to use for nurbs. its so easy and all the operations work everytime without rebuilding and changing normal directions. brilliant interface overall. i discovered it after screwing around with autodesk sketchbook designer and trying to find a 3d program with the same interface...lol...exactly the same. love that program

was watching an old alias hard surface modeling video recently and the guy was championing how great maya was for nurbs, yet he eschewed using trimming or lofting, opting instead for pure patch modeling because it was more predictable.

Its an old video but has some good general ideas for how to work in nurbs in maya. Still, it would be nice to predictably and rapidly use this toolset. its interface hasnt changed that much but some of the tools, like trim, still seem quite modern interface wise.

Whats the difference with inventor? maya has 16 decimal point precision or something like that... does it do more error checking? its like the fillets almost always work and and if not it throws a visible error when you radius is too big so your not left wondering what happened as happens in maya and u can simply adjust and continue.

Last edited by republicavfx : 04-05-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
stooch
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dimitri Loginowski
VFX Artist + Designer
Handsome, LLC
Beverly Hills, USA

Send a message via AIM to stooch
First of all, thanks for using the crits and making your writing very easy to read

Seems to me that maya is being used primarily for character animation and vfx these days, so understandably the focus is more about making deformable shapes. You keep comparing software packages that are optimized to make precise, static, complex and very detailed models. Models that you usually have to retopologise with subds just to make them useable in maya. So i think that if you expect these nurbs modeling tools to hold up for making deformable shapes, you may be sorely disappointed.

I use nurbs primarily to get very precise UV coordinates, effects, lofts, and various operations where I can benefit from not having to worry about unwrapping, or to start with nice UVs for my subd workflow. So in your case of making a car, this may be a good way to start the modeling process. But when it comes down to the final shaping, going SUBD in my opinion is inevitable, if you want to make shapes that will be animated and be efficient for rendering purposes, sculpting, etc.

I would love the nurbs surfaces to be integrated with curves more, so that we aren't dealing with dozens of curves, curve shapes, projected curves, etc etc etc. It becomes a pain from organisational POV but necessary to allow for animated nurbs. Things like animation aren't really taken into consideration with the mechanical modeling tools so their workflow is more streamlined. Now with Ptex arriving to the scene, I have this feeling that nurbs are going to be relegated to the sidelines...

Last edited by stooch : 04-06-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #19
republicavfx
Expert

portfolio
Scott Turner
Generalist
Vina Del Mar, Chile

i havent used nurbs on a long time but just got back into them for a big project in the last 6 months where i had to create a bunch of cad accurate models for a multi touch display for an engineering firm

i hear you on the direction of the industry and its unlikely maya nurbs will see any love soon. but they are still surprisingly powerful for many things.

in particular that subd to nurbs option which ive always just dismissed as useless is actually pretty awesome as it allow ou to quickly block out shapes then switch to nurbs for detailing.

i did this recently on some test models - blocked out the shapes extracted polys and edge lopped it all to hold the creases then poped into subd, then to nurbs for cutting out circle shapes in the body.

whats nice is the resulting nurbs model is all multipatch with no trims or anything. its interesting in context of say modo who are advertising there nurbs export to solidworks which i havent used but i seriously wonder if its got as much juice as this

sure you can do it in polys but you can knock out so much stuff in minutes by adding trims and round tool which you would be screwing around with for an hour in polys for tangency and what not

not great for a lot of piplelines maybe but just fine for plenty of work and again interesting that modo has been pushing this as a `big feature`

course a lot of the zbrush curve tools achieve most of these effects without changing paradigms if you can deal with the interface

Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
klaudio2u
Expert

portfolio
Klaudio
Croatia

Reading trough all this posts i wonder if there will be some updates with nurbs soon. It is not that i use them all the times but i do use them and like to work with with them a lot.

Maybe not that directly connected to nurbs but after watching (Pixar) OpenSubdivs project video i kind of have a feeling that nurbs might also get some updates soon.
--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZazwvYc5o

Would it be realistic to expect it in Maya 2015-2016 or it is to soon...if it is ever going to happen in near future.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread