compoiting multi pass render from multi views.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2014
compoiting multi pass render from multi views.

heres the situation. I have a model that i have rendered out from 3 different views, front, side, 3/4 side. For each view I have rendered out multiple passes spec,shadow,sss,lighting, etc. Now I know how to composite this all in photoshop for 1 view. but how do i do it with 4 views without it becoming a jumbled mess? I want to be able to work on one view and get it the way i want it and have the other 3 views looking the same way. If I do each view one at a time i will have to remember each step i took to do it and im not going to remember that and end up with 4 pictures where the model looks slightly different in all of them.

08 August 2014
Hi,
If you right click on a layer in Photoshop you should see an option 'Copy Layer Style'. You can then paste that style on to another layer. I have not used it a great deal but seems to take into account layer fx, blending modes, opacity and things like that. This way you can work on one then copy the style to each of the other maps. Hope that is what you were looking for.

09 September 2014
Hmmm… I've never tried this, but you might be able to accomplish this task using the Smart Object feature. Starting with whichever view you want to do the work in, right-click on each source layer and convert them to Smart Objects. That will make a sort of side-loaded file containing the original raster, and anything you do to it in Photoshop will be nondestructive. Do all of your compositing on that render.

Then in your file browser, duplicate the folder containing your PSD, making a new folder for each view. In the resulting copies of the Photoshop documents, edit the Smart Objects, replacing the view you just worked on with the view you now want to use. Photoshop should, theoretically, simply swap those pixels, leaving all of the effects, filters, blend modes, etc, intact.

Another approach you might be able to take would be to load your three views as though they were an image sequence and work on them as if they were video. I've never done that, so I have no idea how or if it would work.

reply share thread